White Paper Backdrop vs Chroma Green Muslim

JMASTERJJMASTERJ Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited August 15, 2012 in Technique
Hey guys, me again, decided to make a separate thread for this.

I was going to search for a white paper backdrop, but then I saw some chroma green muslim on Amazon, a decent one here with good reviews and ok quality.

My initial thought was just use a white bed sheet, and use the image as shot, nothing fancy... just an intimate product shot anyways. Then I was thinking (I know, gezuz), since I have to spend time and money anyways getting white paper, why not just spend a bit more and get the chroma and then I can quickly use whatever bg I wish? The only crappy part is then I'll have to get more light for the chroma bec most of these cheapos have a slightly darker green hue, but it seems many photographers in the reviews say it works fine after getting the wrinkles out and plenty of proper lighting. I just have to be a bit creative in hanging it up as the backdrop, but this is nice and big, so nothing some string and binder clips cant take care of, LOL.

Besides, how could any photographer turn down the option of having a chroma backdrop in stock, esp for videos too now that I am getting the T3i? :D

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    Stick with your original thought! It was the correct one.

Green Screening requires typically two things: Space and equipment. Space so that you can light your GS separate from the talent and prevent spill, and Equipment to light the GS smoothly and evenly.

It can be done with small-ish spaces and I do advise you to buy a GS and try it, but be aware your photo-junk-pile will grow in the learning curve.

Taking a step back to your 'other' thread. If I were you, I'd have stuck with trying natural light first and foremost. Then add one light or reflector, then two or more lights.

I know a bunch of folks like to use 'Chroma' BG's to aid them in selecting in post, but honestly I think the types of photos you mention do not lend themselves to GS.
    tom wise
  • JMASTERJJMASTERJ Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Stick with your original thought! It was the correct one.

Green Screening requires typically two things: Space and equipment. Space so that you can light your GS separate from the talent and prevent spill, and Equipment to light the GS smoothly and evenly.

It can be done with small-ish spaces and I do advise you to buy a GS and try it, but be aware your photo-junk-pile will grow in the learning curve.

Taking a step back to your 'other' thread. If I were you, I'd have stuck with trying natural light first and foremost. Then add one light or reflector, then two or more lights.

I know a bunch of folks like to use 'Chroma' BG's to aid them in selecting in post, but honestly I think the types of photos you mention do not lend themselves to GS.

Ya, so u mean stick with the white sheet? I guess the only apprehension I have about that is even though such a bg would be good enough, I would not be able to "control it" and would be much tougher to cut out unless I really light it up, which means I will probably need to get more light to just light up the bg... with the chroma I would be able to put in any kind of gradiated color etc., but ya, a distance of 4-5 ft prob not enough to prevent green bleed is it... ugh, always something.
    edited August 11, 2012
    JMASTERJ wrote: »
    Ya, so u mean stick with the white sheet? I guess the only apprehension I have about that is even though such a bg would be good enough, I would not be able to "control it" and would be much tougher to cut out unless I really light it up, which means I will probably need to get more light to just light up the bg... with the chroma I would be able to put in any kind of gradiated color etc., but ya, a distance of 4-5 ft prob not enough to prevent green bleed is it... ugh, always something.

I get it. I really do. But you're over thinking this and trying to control something of which you haven't any experience with ....Yet! And that day is coming!
    So go easy on yourself and give yourself a break and take the road of least resistance. Do not try and re-create the wheel this time, just try to appreciate it's symmetry and utility.

Truth is; you either control the whole situation or it controls you. Which is why I suggested natch light versus anything else, just less variables to become problematic. So choose your BG carefully, Choose your camera carefully, Choose your lens carefully. Choose your subject carefully. Choose the light carefully, or be prepared to alter it instantly again and again if necessary.

But since we are talking BG. Just find a damn pretty BG for your subj. to be photographed with or at least one that doesn't distract.

The EASIEST photograph you ever take will not need BG changes and so forth in post. Get it right the first time into the lens and you'll have a much happier photographic-life, I promise.

In case you missed it, I did link to our people forum and the "pull Back" thread (in your other thread). There are tons of photos and the sets for them and plenty of lively and sane discussion regarding technique too!

:)
    tom wise
    edited August 12, 2012
    I get it. I really do. But you're over thinking this and trying to control something of which you haven't any experience with ....Yet! And that day is coming!
    So go easy on yourself and give yourself a break and take the road of least resistance. Do not try and re-create the wheel this time, just try to appreciate it's symmetry and utility.

The EASIEST photograph you ever take will not need BG changes and so forth in post. Get it right the first time into the lens and you'll have a much happier photographic-life, I promise.

In case you missed it, I did link to our people forum and the "pull Back" thread (in your other thread). There are tons of photos and the sets for them and plenty of lively and sane discussion regarding technique too!

Hey Tom.. again I want to sincerely thank u for your knowledge and understanding of my plight... I have talked to several others of varying expertise, but one thing that really annoys me when I ask for advice is when people respond in a way where they seem like their defense of the whole "upper echelon photo profession" supercedes their willingness to pull in/up new photo neophytes who r willing to work hard and improve, instead of acting like they are all high and mighty. I've had people tell me things like "You dont really seem focused on what u want so just go with the P&S and save your money" or "It seems like you dont know much about photography, maybe u should just hire someone to do it for you..." etc., etc., as if they were born with glass for eyes and a body for a head. I am used to excelling and giving it my all in everything I do, and this is no different. I love photography, always have, and have taken thousands of photos in my lifetime and gave each one due respect... and just bec I never had a great camera (exception: AE-1 Program decades ago) doesnt make me think I havent taken great photos, because to me, the equipment/lighting/whatever cant ever replace the eye u have for framing a shot that makes it "special"... maybe that is my arrogant thinking, but its what I believe. Now with better equipment, maybe I'll finally be able to participate in dpchallenge or something for fun... my advantage is that I am a graphic designer so post work will probably be my easiest process for a while!

Anyways, its just really refreshing to have someone like u actually respond like a good human being where you are putting the "student" before the "profession," which is what I always do when I teach my various crafts, UNLESS they start disrespecting the sport/activity, then that my attitude changes. I always make it a point to tell people like you about this, that you are doing a great job in what you are doing here bec it is actually so rare in all professions, but it shouldnt be. :D

Now that I have wasted more of your time with backstory, Laughing.gif, back to the game... I totally agree less post work is better when the shot itself is conducive to a plain white-grayish bg... I see some Victoria Secret photos where they change it up to cream, pinkish, etc., and that was what was tempting me to do the chroma, but for now, yes, the business is so small, I doubt I'll need so much variety, but flying before I am barely even out of the womb is my typical m.o. so I will try to keep it simple for now.

I totally forgot about those pull backs... very useful, altho most of those people have much more equipment than I have... I have been to multiple photo shoots/TV-Film sets myself in my work as an actor, for portfolios, shots on scene, etc., etc... so the whole setup thing is nothing new to me and I see them all the time... but then again, its always different observing and and doing it yourself isnt it... I will definitely try to post the pics and pullbacks when I do take my first shots, and hopefully they wont be embarrassingly bad... but maybe the bad quality will be forgiven for the "nice" content, Laughing.gif... and I guess the only real way I can repay you (and the others who have helped) is by putting up some outstanding photos and making you proud!
    edited August 12, 2012
    Anyways, its just really refreshing to have someone like u actually respond like a good human being where you are putting the "student" before the "profession," which is what I always do when I teach my various crafts, UNLESS they start disrespecting the sport/activity, then that my attitude changes. I always make it a point to tell people like you about this, that you are doing a great job in what you are doing here bec it is actually so rare in all professions, but it shouldnt be. :D

Thanks for the compliment~
    Now that I have wasted more of your time with backstory, Laughing.gif, back to the game... I totally agree less post work is better when the shot itself is conducive to a plain white-grayish bg... I see some Victoria Secret photos where they change it up to cream, pinkish, etc., and that was what was tempting me to do the chroma, but for now, yes, the business is so small, I doubt I'll need so much variety, but flying before I am barely even out of the womb is my typical m.o. so I will try to keep it simple for now.

Since you mentioned Victoria Secret specifically, I visited their Website and from what I see I'd say they're shooting on a White BG and then if they want to give it a PINK treatment, they are adding a pink vignette. Like there on their main page. One thing that can be very hard to pull off, is to light the scene a certain way and then change BG and have it lit looking as if it was originally there, which again is why I am not a big GS fan straight-up.

Happy Shooting!
    tom wise
    edited August 15, 2012
    Thanks for the compliment~

Since you mentioned Victoria Secret specifically, I visited their Website and from what I see I'd say they're shooting on a White BG and then if they want to give it a PINK treatment, they are adding a pink vignette. Like there on their main page. One thing that can be very hard to pull off, is to light the scene a certain way and then change BG and have it lit looking as if it was originally there, which again is why I am not a big GS fan straight-up.

Hmm really? I just saw another VS commercial on TV and they used more pink bg's, seemed like walls and setups... I think they actually use the different color bg's and do minimal post work, I mean, they got money for it! But either way, that doesnt matter to me, I'm in a different budget and league... I think I will go with a gray medium thick cotton sheet, and just use it with good lighting for the shot, no bg/post work. If I really need to change later, then 5-10 min of border erase, color select/delete, and some refine edge, done, no biggie... dont care if I lose a few strands of hair, its for the web and at worst, it'll look a little brushed if you stare at it for 2 minutes, sue me! Laughing.gif