Options

Columbia River HDR and pano

MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
edited August 13, 2012 in Landscapes
This was taken from a vantage point near Trail, BC looking left to the US border a few miles away and right to city of Trail, BC. This is a panoramic image of 6 separate shots with the 14-24 Nikon on the D800.

trailhillpano-X2.jpg
Cheers,
Monte

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 12, 2012
    Awesome scene and details, Monte. Great job stitching. You could blow that puppy up to billboard size with that body/lens combo. Foreground corners couldn't be any sharper. Great job all the way around. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2012
    Thanks, I am still working on an image for final print. There are some spots on the centre that need to be healed and a bunch of litter in the grass that I didn't notice. I have a 24" wide printer and this will be a 24x72 image for one of my walls.
    Getting them matted and framed is the big expense...geesh.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    Nice, can you estimate the total angle on this image? Which way is the water flowing?
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    I love the sky! I would ditch the road though, it adds nothing, and pulls your eye all over the place. I would think of cropping on the right side of the tree on the right side, and at the top point of the grass triangle on the left. What do I know though, the road may be your favorite partne_nau.gif
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    cj99si wrote: »
    I love the sky! I would ditch the road though, it adds nothing, and pulls your eye all over the place. I would think of cropping on the right side of the tree on the right side, and at the top point of the grass triangle on the left. What do I know though, the road may be your favorite partne_nau.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    Yeah, although the road is an implied mirror of the curve in the river it seems to - because of the tonal difference - compete with the natural beauty in the center of the image.
    Also, to my eye, the water seems to be going up-hill from right to left - less so with the road removed - that could be just the wide-angle POV, dunno.
    Super Image!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    kolibri wrote: »
    Nice, can you estimate the total angle on this image? Which way is the water flowing?

This was a problem I had with the horizon. I can see it is out of proper position with my eye but my gear said otherwise. I was using a Arcatech levelling base and nodal rail to determine nodal point and all was set perfectly according to level and rail.

The river actually flows to the left. But the hill and road is very steep to the right and may be causing me the trouble. A simple crop adjustment will fix it but I would like to get these correct to begin with.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    Montec wrote: »
    ....... I can see it is out of proper position with my eye but my gear said otherwise.

Your eye is often - arguably - your most important piece of "gear". mwink.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    This was a problem I had with the horizon. I can see it is out of proper position with my eye but my gear said otherwise. I was using a Arcatech levelling base and nodal rail to determine nodal point and all was set perfectly according to level and rail.

The river actually flows to the left. But the hill and road is very steep to the right and may be causing me the trouble. A simple crop adjustment will fix it but I would like to get these correct to begin with.

Select all, and warp tool in PS.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012

I'd have said it was the choice of projection during stitching that caused this.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.