Options

Photos For CC

StylistJenn24StylistJenn24 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited August 14, 2012 in People
:ivar:ivarI am actually a hairstylist, have been with my own salon for 21 years. I've always loved photography and have been in it as hobby also for 21 years. I've recently started adding it to my work at the salon, usually work on location. Currently I'm adding a studio in my salon to do some indoor shots. I wanted to post a few shots and see what you think. I pretty much will shoot anything but my favorite it definetly senior shoots.:barb

Comments

• Options
    edited August 12, 2012
    I'm trying to figure out how to upload photos lol
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2012
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2012
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2012
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2012
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    Hi, Jennifer. If you link your images from the hosting site by right clicking the image and choosing "copy image location" or similar in your browser, then pasting that in your post with a prefix of and a suffix of, that will not only make your pictures look better here, but will prevent them from taking a very long time to load for your viewers.

At this point, I would say:

1) I'm not sure what happened focus wise here, but it appears to be pretty far off.
    2) The blown highlights in the ballast of the train tracks is very distracting, and I don't understand the shot in general.
    3) Looks alright
    4) Is alright, aside from the obvious tilt, which is distracting and probably unintentional. If it is intentional, I would ask what the purpose of adding tilt to this image would be.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    hey Jenn.. Welcome to our great place for photographers. Sounds like you might be on to something by combining the 2 types of business. I am a grandma with a camera but I'll give you my 2 cents.
    1 her face is under exposed. I use an action from Nik Color Pro called darken/lighten center. I use it on about 80% of my images. You can do the same by using your burn and dodge tools if you have photoshop.
    3 is WOW .... a little bit of bra strap seems to be peeking out on her right side. Her eyes and mouth and teeth could use a little pop
    4 is nice, could be cropped a bit more. Keep us posted, there is so much you can do with hair & makeup and photography all in one spot!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    Well I guess I'm still in the learning phase lol...Thanks for all the tips..I can only get better from here. People love my photos, and are paying me for them but I want to get better.
    I do use photoshop. I dont work my photos to death lol. Just a few clicks....Like I said I so have alot of learning to go. I havent learned to tweak the eyes yet....I also use noiseware to soften a bit. Any other tips......I would love to hear.....
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    Jenn - welcome! I have learned TONS here and continue to learn tons. Post photos and take the critique the way it's meant to be taken and you'll definitely improve!
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    PS - watch for the hair tie on the wrist. I've missed that SO many times!! The last one in your series of photos has a hair tie on!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    #1 Has very flat lighting and try for another pose other than the watch me do pushups on the wall.

#2. A very nice shot, maybe a little too bright but it could bye my laptop. I don't know how busy your railroad is but it is illegal to do those shots and you could get fined so watch out.

#3. Really very nicely done. Maybe a reflector to block some of the overhead light to create a little shadow on her face for modeling. I like how you hid the off the shoulder top by putting it on her far side. I know they are popular but straight on they are just plain ugly unless you have a Tara Banks body.

4. A cute idea but the white is overpowering her. Turn it upside down and you will see what I mean. Photographers paint with light so try to get some shading on her face and it will be sooo much better.

You have some lovely ideas here and most of them have great exposures. Keep posting and getting better.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    I think I'm really gonna like this place lol. I'm working on lighting etc to open a studio and do indoor shoots. Any advice there? I'm starting slow, hair is my #1 I have plenty of learning time :)
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    Couple of things. First, welcome to Dgrin and the People forum.

Second, I think you have a good eye for composition which is probably one of the most difficult things to learn. Most of the issues I see in these photos are technical nits that can be overcome with a little bit of knowledge and practice. Keep on shooting and posting I think you're photos are going to rock in no time.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site