Yosemite and Tuolumne Meadows July Climbing PIC HEAVY

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited October 28, 2012 in Journeys
Well I once again got the opportunity to climb in Yosemite and one of our main goals was Washington Column. We were shut down last time by bad weather and hoped that it wouldn't happen again!

But before that I might as well start at the beginning of the interestingly unpredictable story.

I was to meet up with Dave Arnett and Christopher Manning on a trip to Yosemite. I had never met Chris but Dave swore that he was a good guy. Somehow in the course of all this planning madness we decided to get our skydiving certifications in Lodi, Cali after hearing that it was the cheapest place in the world to skydive. The trip started out normal with expensive rental car upgrades and the dollar store. We were soon at the drop zone and taking tandem dives which are necessary before beginning the AFF Certication course. They have a hanger with floor space where you can stay if you are jumping for an extended period of time.

IMG7745-2-L.jpg

IMG7744-2-XL.jpg

pano2-L.jpg

IMG7773-2-L.jpg

IMG7792-2-L.jpg

This fancy Ford Focus was a real letdown. Electronics were buggy and wierd and we spent a few days with it stalling around the valley. When I picked it up there was only 3 miles on the car. We dropped it off with 1500.

IMG7775-2-L.jpg

But we did manage these awesome bikes at Garage Sales in Sacramento and Lodi, we would later leave them at Camp 4 where hopefully someone else can put them to use.

IMG7776-2-L.jpg

The first day we did 4 jumps with our instructors. I had the worst landing on the first jump where I almost landed outside the massive field of the drop zone.

pano1-XL.jpg

Chris had the most painful landing as he pounded the dirt with his ankle spraining it badly. Dave somehow remained on the positive end of the landings and came away smiling. Here is Chris coming in for a landing.

IMG7848-2-L.jpg

IMG7868-2-L.jpg

The next day would drastically change the outcome of our trip. (Sorry Dave, it must be told!) As I was coming in for what I believe was my 6th landing, I saw a group of people running full speed across the field in front of me. It looked like a long game of tag and right in my landing zone! Thankfully they moved out of the way and I was able to land safely but after touching down I looked in the direction they were running and saw a parachute wrapped around the vineyards on the other side of the road. I believed I could see a body on the ground and from my angle it wasn't moving. I looked all around the field for my friend Dave and he was knowhwere to be seen. Chris had opted out of these jumps to give his ankle a day or two to heal and he was also looking in the same direction. Niether of us believed the man lying the in vineyards to be our friend Dave, but it was. I started asking a few people what had happened and the first response was "He's lucky to be alive! His arm is broken."
While I was very relieved to hear that he was alive I knew he wasn't going to be climbing in Yosemite anytime soon! Still we focused on the positive and Chris took him to the hospital where he spent the next 10 hours waiting for surgery in heaps of pain. His arm looked like the arm of a Dr. Seuss character.

IMG7800-2-XL.jpg

While Dave was coming in for his landing he saw an obstacle that he thought he was going to hit, he turned to avoid it an ended up hitting the power lines, then landing in the vinyard!

IMG7805-2-L.jpg

Is that supposed to bend like that? (Chris Manning photo) Multiple breaks and a dislocation that pushed the bone out the skin of the wrist.
179535_10151022100477088_817827663_n.jpg

Chris and I continued our courses and threw a few solo jumps in for fun while Dave went through surgery and spent two days waiting in the hospital as a watch for infection. We sat with him eating food and watching Earnest Goes to Jail, somehow it seemed appropriate.

Dave knew he didn't want to come home and so we all piled in the car and headed to Yosemite with new plans. Chris was a relatively new climber and the tallest route he had climbed to that point had been about 100ft.

IMG7881-2-X2.jpg

We arrived in the valley to the usual ooooo's and ahhhh's of a valley newcomer and headed right to highway star for a few runs up that fun route. Dave spent some time relaxing by the car.

IMG7887-2-L.jpg

IMG7895-2-L.jpg

The next day we climbed Outer Limits on Cookie Cliff thinking that we were on Pat and Jack Pinnacle. Apparently after 4 or 5 times to the valley you can still easily get the most popular cliffs mixed up. Somewhere around the middle of Outer Limits we decided that it was just to darn hot in Yosemite and that we should head to Tuolumne Meadows instead. I had actually never been there before so it was exciting to see new territory. We arrived at night and slept at the base of the hill on the way to Lee Vining. The next morning we headed up to Tenaya Lake where we would spend a significant amount of time relaxing between climbs.

pano5-XL.jpg

IMG7901-2-XL.jpg

IMG7908-2-XL.jpg

We watched climbers bounce up the enjoyable looking runs on Stately Pleasure Dome, I had seen many pictures of these climbs and it was great to finally get a peek up close.

IMG7910-2-XL.jpg

But we didn't want to climb so close to the road, we wanted somewhat of an adventure so we made our way to Cathedral Peak first for a fun run up the usual route. There were lots of parties on the face but we made good time by bouncing around finding ways around different parties although it made the climb interesting because we all pretty much arrived on the summit at the same time. Chris had no problem following this enjoyable route.

IMG7911-2-XL.jpg

IMG7912-2-XL.jpg

IMG7914-2-XL.jpg

IMG7924-2-XL.jpg

IMG7936-2-XL.jpg

IMG7947-2-XL.jpg

Other parties worked around the Chimney which I found to be really enjoyable.

IMG7953-2-XL.jpg

IMG7960-2-XL.jpg

IMG7962-2-XL.jpg

And the views were amazing.

pano4-XL.jpg

IMG7966-2-XL.jpg

IMG7971-2-X2.jpg

IMG7977-2-X2.jpg

IMG7994-2-XL.jpg

It was Chris real trip with exposure and he had no problems at any moment.

IMG8007-2-XL.jpg

A storm was brewing off in the distance but we didn't want to miss an opportunity to Eichorn's Pinnacle, which I must call the most awesome 5.4 climb I have ever done.

IMG8010-2-XL.jpg

IMG8062-2-XL.jpg

There was another party on the Pinnacle when we topped out on Cathedral. If it was any of you guys then let me know, I can get you a few photos!

IMG8011-2-XL.jpg

Chris taking in the view from atop Eichorn's.

IMG8064-2-XL.jpg

IMG8075-2-XL.jpg

IMG8076-2-XL.jpg

IMG8085-2-XL.jpg

IMG8120-2-XL.jpg

IMG8139-2-XL.jpg

Dave became our camp watcher and helpful cook while he reminisced about his own climbing fun. Being in Yosemite with one arm in a cast can make you a bit crazy!

IMG8145-2-XL.jpg

IMG8182-2-XL.jpg

Chris and I cragged for a day and then we hit up Tenaya Peaks 14 pitch buttress. After forgetting my shoes in the car I still found this route to be super enjoyable with street shoes and climbing it in about 3 pitches of simul-climbing.

IMG8198-2-XL.jpg

IMG8209-2-XL.jpg

IMG8211-2-XL.jpg

IMG8217-2-XL.jpg

IMG8218-2-XL.jpg

IMG8222-2-XL.jpg

Beautiful Tenaya Lake

IMG8228-2-XL.jpg

IMG8230-2-XL.jpg

IMG8283-2-XL.jpg

IMG8292-2-XL.jpg

We also gave a run up Pywiak Dome's Zee Tree with Dave. That is right, we took a one armed man up that route and he only fell once or twice while readjusting his arm sling. It was funny watching him bound up this slabby 5.7 with one arm and a heavy dose of maniacal laughter. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera for that one but Dave snapped a few with his phone.

427529_10151022092597088_563030055_n.jpg

After climbing about 45 pitches of rock in Tuolumne we headed back to to a "reportedly" cool Yosemite Valley.

IMG8326-2-XL.jpg

IMG8323-2-XL.jpg

IMG8330-2-XL.jpg

IMG8345-2-XL.jpg

IMG8336-2-XL.jpg

IMG8352-2-XL.jpg

We geared up and decided on Higher Cathedral's Northeast Buttress as our last climb of the trip. The thermostat rose to about 100 that day and it cooked us alive. Somewhere after the third Pitch I begin to get some heat exhaustion. My body started to shake as my hands and feet shook badly. I started to black out and get dizzy and nearly fell asleep on the belay. As I had to lead every pitch because Chris was still working into it I decided it was best if we went down. After bailing from that beautiful climb we drank a few gallons of water, gatorade, and coconut juice. Later in the day when energy returned to suffered ourselves on generator crack, which I managed in only a few falls this time, and then drove back toward Sacramento for the flight home. While Dave didn't get to climb much we still all had a great trip and hopefully we can get down for that big wall again soon.

Braille Book I assume?

IMG8362-2-XL.jpg

IMG8363-2-XL.jpg

IMG8371-2-XL.jpg

IMG8375-2-XL.jpg

IMG8389-2-XL.jpg

IMG8394-2-XL.jpg

IMG8400-2-XL.jpg

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 13, 2012
    I am so in awe of your adventures. I'm one of those people who isn't comfortable without solid ground under my feet, but I really enjoy looking over the shoulder of others who adventure out on the edge.

Great story, and I love the photos. Thanks for sharing.

--- Denise
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    You certainly know how to live life. What's even more awesome is that you have photos to show us.iloveyou.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    I am so in awe of your adventures. I'm one of those people who isn't comfortable without solid ground under my feet, but I really enjoy looking over the shoulder of others who adventure out on the edge.

Great story, and I love the photos. Thanks for sharing.

--- Denise

+++++++ thumb.gif
  • DuClunkDuClunk Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2012
    Better you than me. eek7.gif

I have a good understanding of this thing called gravity. I got queasy just looking at some of these awesome photos.
  • dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Excellent work, especially considering the working conditions.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Your wide angle climbing silhlouette shots are awesome. Top notch.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    Amazing!
    I have one question though: Who put up the first rope?
    I can't imagine the adrenaline running through your body while you climb that enormous peak!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 2, 2012
    Amazing. I haven't spent enough time in that area.

Awesome photos, awesome trip!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • CAPTURED2HCAPTURED2H Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    This was so good that even on dail up it took over a hr to view eek7.gif but worth the time spent.A great story and a better trip thumb.gif
  • spacefuzzspacefuzz Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    really really cool, jealous! I wish my infantile climbing skills and soft fingers were up to that kind of adventure!
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    I am in awe!!! I was in Tuolumne Meadows in June for a quick last minute weekend trip... it's awesome there, but seeing your pics makes me want to take up the climbing part. Awesome adventure story too!!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2012
    Wonderful pics, nice to see Yosemite from a different perspective :)
  • bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2012
    Great stuff! Amazing to see a familar place from so many different altitudes and angles.
  • NeozynNeozyn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2012
    Wow wonderful pictures and such excellent sharing of your adventure. Excellent details and I admire your currage to climb so much. I too like many have great difficulty with heights at times its great to see how climbers like yourselves make it look so easy with wonderful images you share. Very nice.