Options

Ashley Headshots

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited August 17, 2012 in People
Ashley wanted headshots, so we picked a scenic spot and gave it a whirl. Comments and critiques would be great.

IMG4267-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG4247-Edit-2-X2.jpg

IMG4287-Edit-X2.jpg

IMG4313-Edit-X2.jpg

IMG4232-Editcrop-X2.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-joel

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    Holy guacamole! These are great. So clean man. #2 and #5 are pretty much perfect. Great jog Dog.

BTW, we still have to see about hooking up and shooting some time. I will let you know next time I'm up in your neck of the woods.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Great shots, she is beautiful, and you really caught that extraordinary great smile in #3, and 5 sells her as well. While its our job to get lighting, focus, framing and all that, but also make the model look her best, and 3 and 5 really caught that.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2012
    Holy guacamole! These are great. So clean man. #2 and #5 are pretty much perfect. Great jog Dog.

BTW, we still have to see about hooking up and shooting some time. I will let you know next time I'm up in your neck of the woods.
    Thanks very much, Alex. I've gotten tons of good feedback in this forum in the past which has helped immensely. Plus it never hurts to have a subject who's pretty flawless (something that you have no shortage of, I've noticed. mwink.gif)

And yes, please do get in touch next time you're up north here. I'd love to meet up and shoot or just talk shop.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Gorgeous. I love the direct eye contact of #5.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited August 15, 2012
    #'s 1 & 5 are brilliant! That's some fine work.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2012
    Great shots, she is beautiful, and you really caught that extraordinary great smile in #3, and 5 sells her as well. While its our job to get lighting, focus, framing and all that, but also make the model look her best, and 3 and 5 really caught that.
    Thanks very much for the kind comments, EphTwoEight. We had a lot of fun on the shoot and you're right, it really helps.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2012
    aktse wrote: »
    Gorgeous. I love the direct eye contact of #5.
    Thanks, April!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    #'s 1 & 5 are brilliant! That's some fine work.
    Thanks very much, David! Those are definitely two of my favorites as well. She's got this flawless face that holds up to close scrutiny which helps a lot. She's also a martial arts and sword expert, so she's pretty much her own body guard. eek7.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Pretty girl looks like a fun shoot.
    Looks like the shoot was at a tough time of day. Some of the frames feel a little tight to me.
    I really like the third one, you caught her looking very natural in that one.
    I am sure she will really like these.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    Pretty girl looks like a fun shoot.
    Looks like the shoot was at a tough time of day. Some of the frames feel a little tight to me.
    I really like the third one, you caught her looking very natural in that one.
    I am sure she will really like these.

Thanks, Mike. Yes, 1:00 PM on a sunny day to be exact. It was an exercise in shooting in bad light.

These were shot a couple of months ago. I was reminded of them yesterday because she sent me an email wanting to do another shoot. I guess she liked 'em.

Yeah, most of these are framed tight since it's a head-shot shoot. Too tight? Here's more of a body shot I basically had to sneak in since she didn't think her body looked good. Go figure, huh? She changed her mind after she saw the shot.

IMG4274-Edit-X2.jpg

More shots of her here: http://www.desertilluminations.com/People/Ashley-Headshots/23150796_B6FZv6#!i=1866756452&k=XBRnGFB
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    wowww1!! at #5
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Love the close ups but 1 and 5 are SCREAMERs!!!! Big time congrats.

Love how the depth of filed goes from 0 to 100 or 100 to 0 in #4 looking under the chin. Nice.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    I LOVE #3 and #5!!
    Beautiful model!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Lovely! thumb.gifclap.gif

One small nit: remember to get *higher* (or get subject lower) when you're shooting upper body or headshots only.. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Joel,

These are very well done. Clean, crisp, bright, happy feel to them.

What was your lighting set up?

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    wowww1!! at #5
    Thanks, man!
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Love the close ups but 1 and 5 are SCREAMERs!!!! Big time congrats.

Love how the depth of filed goes from 0 to 100 or 100 to 0 in #4 looking under the chin. Nice.
    Thanks, Charles! I'll be honest and say I don't quite understand the 0-100 DOF thing you're noticing under her chin. I probably got lucky. Anyway, thanks for checking in! thumb.gif
    babowc wrote: »
    I LOVE #3 and #5!!
    Beautiful model!
    Thank you!
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Lovely! thumb.gifclap.gif

One small nit: remember to get *higher* (or get subject lower) when you're shooting upper body or headshots only.. deal.gif
    Thanks, Nik! Yeah, we've talked about the height thing in the past and I shot these about as high as I could get.
    Sam wrote: »
    Joel,

These are very well done. Clean, crisp, bright, happy feel to them.

What was your lighting set up?

Sam
    Thanks, Sam! Single off-camera speedlight for fill. Umbrella on most of them, and I think I shot a few with just the naked flash just to get catchlights. ETTL on these as I recall since it was just one flash and I was moving around a lot.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    I am diggin #5 a lot. well done. The expression 3 is great but I am not really feeling the light in 1-4. I think the fill is bit much on #1 and light is pretty flat 2-4. (yeah you were shooting outside some times you are at mercy of what light is avialble) You can alleviate that with some creative post processing though
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2012
    Thanks for your inputs, Daniel!
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    You may know that headshots are my favorite images so if you did, thanks for this set and if you didn't, thanks for this set.

I love every image of this stunning lady with # 5 as my personal top of the line.thumb.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    Joel,

I swiped #3 and added a gradient in LR..I think it gives a bit of direction to the light

i-QtjPqcS-X2.jpg
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2012
    You may know that headshots are my favorite images so if you did, thanks for this set and if you didn't, thanks for this set.

I love every image of this stunning lady with # 5 as my personal top of the line.thumb.gif
    Thank YOU, my friend. thumb.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    Joel,

I swiped #3 and added a gradient in LR..I think it gives a bit of direction to the light
    Hey Daniel, I like it. Such a simple but effective way to add some depth to otherwise flat light. Thanks for the tip. thumb.gif
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    Lovely shots. But I'm curious what the headshots are for. Are they actor headshots? Portraits for personal use? Something else? As actor headshots, I don't think they work -- not that they aren't good photographs, they just don't fit what the industry expects.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2012
    Lovely shots. But I'm curious what the headshots are for. Are they actor headshots? Portraits for personal use? Something else? As actor headshots, I don't think they work -- not that they aren't good photographs, they just don't fit what the industry expects.
    Hey Brett, they're for her acting and modeling portfolio/website. She's got a variety of different kinds of shots, probably none of them conform to agency standards. Our next shoot will be in the studio, so maybe I should do a little more research. Thanks for checking in. thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012

15524779-Ti.gif

They're lovely portraits, but they don't say "actress" - once I saw them I reckoned they were for a modelling portfolio (been meaning to reply here since you posted 'em but been so busy haven't had a chance!).

Very nice images, though. In a couple I'd give them just a little more processing love (boost contrast, maybe add a little eye sparkle), but she's quite lovely and you've catpured her beauty well thumb.gif