Options

Caught me some Lightnin' Tonight

spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited August 5, 2004 in Wildlife
Caught this while still at work tonight....

Comments

• Options
    edited August 5, 2004
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    And another one....
    These are really cool. I've never had the good luck myself, but I've had some ideas about it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    That first one's really nice. A crop would really focus attention on the action. Good job... but a dangerous one!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    Cool! I guess the airport was shut down from the storm? Just goes to show what I am realizing, you always have to have your camera with you, you never know when a good opportunity will appear. I've missed a few because I don't bring it to work with me. :cry
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    1st one is real nice thumb.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Caught this while still at work tonight....
    Can you tell us the settings on the first pic. Great photo. I live in clearwater, Florida (the lightning capital of the northern hemisphere), and I would like to try my hand at some lightning pics.

mitch
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    Can you tell us the settings on the first pic. Great photo. I live in clearwater, Florida (the lightning capital of the northern hemisphere), and I would like to try my hand at some lightning pics.

mitch
    Sure...
    Camera Model Name
    Canon PowerShot A75
    Shooting Date/Time
    8/4/2004 9:43:27 PM
    Shooting Mode
    Shutter Speed Priority AE
    Photo Effect Mode
    Off
    Tv( Shutter Speed )
    Av( Aperture Value )
    Metering Mode
    Center-weighted averaging
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    5.4 - 16.2mm
    Focal Length
    5.4mm
    Digital Zoom
    None
    Image Size
    2048x1536
    Image Quality
    Superfine
    Flash
    Off
    White Balance
    Auto
    AF Mode
    Single AF
    Color Space
    sRGB
    File Size
    1215KB
    Drive Mode
    Self-Timer Operation
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:

mitch

Hi Mitchell. In my other life I've learned a lot about weather, please allow me to get on my soapbox for a few minutes. Ahem. Lightning can strike from as far as ten miles away. If you can see it, it can reach you. So please take great care if you're planning to shoot lightning, because you're very much at risk. Thank you. OK, who wants the soapbox next?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hi Mitchell. In my other life I've learned a lot about weather, please allow me to get on my soapbox for a few minutes. Ahem. Lightning can strike from as far as ten miles away. If you can see it, it can reach you. So please take great care if you're planning to shoot lightning, because you're very much at risk. Thank you. OK, who wants the soapbox next?
    Thank you for your words of caution. I have great respect and fear of lightning. I really do live in the lightning capital of the northern hemisphere! More lightning strikes here annually than anywhere else. Even so, it always seems to rain with our lightning. I'm not about to get my new D70 soaked while I try to take a picture in a dangerous lightning storm!

mitch