Options

Hal-Con Zombies Walking

BailiejoBailiejo Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited August 20, 2012 in People
Halifax held it's yearly Zombie walk and I was able to capture a few photos that I thought were interesting. I wanted the faces to "pop" so tried to blur the background. I think I need more practice.
man-woman-L.jpg

black-woman-L.jpg

single-woman-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    My daughter would love this. She's preparing for the day of the zombies.......watchout she's a great shot.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Nice job lol. Is this called a "Zombie Walk"? Hack, does she watch "The Walking Dead" tv series? Crazy make up effects on there.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    She watches all that genre but she has a gun for when they come.....Laughing.gif.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited August 15, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    She watches all that genre but she has a gun for when they come.....Laughing.gif.

One can never be too ready for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    nice. What's with the #3?

David, we can. we have our own zombie survival group here, in Chicago :) My sponsor's shop just finished building a second ZEV for them 3 weeks ago :D
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Well, I've come to the conclusion that when the zombie apocalypse does hit, I'm pretty much screwed. So are all the other hopeless fools that live in Los Angeles. Have you seen the traffic on the 405 freeway lately?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Do you have the originals?

out of the ones you posted #1 and #2 work for me however with #1 you can see in the un blurred back ground through the hair gaps of the woman.

#3 is waaaay too much blur to look natural and #4 I can see where you tried to photoshop the grass by her face and possibly even the far end of the side walk.

cool pictures though! I would love to have a Zombie Walk here :)
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    I really like #1, but it would me much better without the obvious artificial blur.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    Lol Hack. Waiting rather inpatientantly for the new season of TWD, drums fingers on keyboards lol.

@Foques, that would make a cool thread I would think lol.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2012
    Do you have the originals?

out of the ones you posted #1 and #2 work for me however with #1 you can see in the un blurred back ground through the hair gaps of the woman.

#3 is waaaay too much blur to look natural and #4 I can see where you tried to photoshop the grass by her face and possibly even the far end of the side walk.

cool pictures though! I would love to have a Zombie Walk here :)

You are absolutely right with your comments - I'm not so good with Photoshop Elements and the clone tool - can't seem to make it look natural. I guess it just takes practice. Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    nice. What's with the #3?

David, we can. we have our own zombie survival group here, in Chicago :) My sponsor's shop just finished building a second ZEV for them 3 weeks ago :D

I think #3 is a warrior from movie Avatar.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    Bailiejo wrote: »
    I think #3 is a warrior from movie Avatar.
    I was referring to poor selection/blur.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    #3 is clearly the most overcooked. If you were going to try to mimic natural blur, the ground around his feet should still be in focus and get progressively blurrier further back. Which sounds like way too involved of an editing project.
    It looks like a bright sunny day, so I guess my advice if you want blurred backgrounds in a situation like this is invest in a neutral density filter so you can keep your apertures open without over exposing everything.
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    You are absolutely right with your comments - I'm not so good with Photoshop Elements and the clone tool - can't seem to make it look natural. I guess it just takes practice. Thanks
    Much better if you learn to do it in camera -- are you using an SLR?
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2012
    Gotham wrote: »
    Much better if you learn to do it in camera -- are you using an SLR?

Yes, I'm using a SLR. I'll attach two of the originals and if anyone wants to play with them, please feel free and let me know what you did. I'd appreciate it.

DSC0565-L.jpg

DSC0570-L.jpg
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    Yes, I'm using a SLR. I'll attach two of the originals and if anyone wants to play with them, please feel free and let me know what you did. I'd appreciate it.

DSC0565-L.jpg

DSC0570-L.jpg

To be honest. I think this subject matter is actually better when the surroundings are not too OOF because it puts things in context. The zombies are very incongruous in your unedited photos.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site