Options

Tamron 28-75 2.8 Di

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited November 25, 2005 in Cameras
Anyone have any comments on the Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di for the Canon 1DmkII. I have been looking at the Canon 24-70/2.8 but the price of the Tamron is oh soooo inviting.

Would be shooting T&I's - portraits - family - sports

Thanks - Greg

Canon 1DmkII, Canon 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 200/1.8, 70-200/2.8 IS, 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS, 580ex, 550ex, Lightsphere II
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 15, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Anyone have any comments on the Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di for the Canon 1DmkII. I have been looking at the Canon 24-70/2.8 but the price of the Tamron is oh soooo inviting.

Would be shooting T&I's - portraits - family - sports

Thanks - Greg

Canon 1DmkII, Canon 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 200/1.8, 70-200/2.8 IS, 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS, 580ex, 550ex, Lightsphere II
    Not using it on the 1DmkII, but I can't imagine my love of this lens would change any with the body. :)

This is my experience with it (and a few others weighing in)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22378

I actually got it because other Dgrinners recommended it so highly.
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    allanallan Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    Not using it on the 1DmkII, but I can't imagine my love of this lens would change any with the body. :)

This is my experience with it (and a few others weighing in)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22378

I actually got it because other Dgrinners recommended it so highly.

Great lens -- used it on a 5D (when i owned it)... if i got a another FF i would buy it again in a second, it was quite good.

It loves FF and -- if you are going to make $$$ from the lens req., or have $$$ to burn, then get the 24-70L...if not, just get the tammy and you will love it.
    An N, a few L's and a bounch of #'s that let me 'see' better...
    28 years of trying to capture emotion...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited November 15, 2005
    Had mine since July 05. I'm using it on a 20D and it is quite sharp at f/4.5 or higher (2.8 is soft, but that is expected). On a FF? Might have some falloff in sharpness and brightness at 28 and wider apertures. I find that the contrast and sharpness good overall, and is up to the hype. Bokah is on the average to low side, if you feel that is important. Luckily, I got a good copy on the first try.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    it is quite sharp at f/4.5 or higher (2.8 is soft, but that is expected).
    How would the Canon 24-70/f2.8 compare to the Tamron at f2.8? Also for sports action?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    I've never used the Tamron 28-75 2.8 Di, however, I have a Tamron 18-200 3.5-6.3 XD Di II and I'm really happy with it.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2005
    Andyman wrote:
    I've never used the Tamron 28-75 2.8 Di, however, I have a Tamron 18-200 3.5-6.3 XD Di II and I'm really happy with it.
    Andyman - See this is your first post - welcome.

Your Location - The Mushroom Kingdom - interesting

Greg
    Greg
  • Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Thanks for the welcome, Bodley!

Yeah, I started putting "The Mushroom Kingdom" (from the Mario videogames) as my 'location' years ago when joining forums, and I guess I just still do it.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    I recently got the tamron and love itthumb.gif I use it on my 300d.

For the price you can't go wrong.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Get it. You won't regret it. thumb.gif
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    How would the Canon 24-70/f2.8 compare to the Tamron at f2.8? Also for sports action?
    I've owned both lenses. at 2.8 there is absolutely no comparing these 2 lenses. and frankly over the whole range i believe the canon is far superior. i had been hoping for more with the tamron when i tried it on my 5D.

i also tried the sigma 2.9 24-70 and i liked it much more than the tamron.

oh, as much as i like the optics of the canon, i got tired of lugging that big guy.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Canon is known for their focus speed, which is important for action. I bought the Canon over the Tamron at the recommendation of a motocross photographer. The Canon is built much tougher, is weather sealed, and focuses lightning fast. If you don't need these features get the Tamron. But if you do, get the Canon. I have the Canon because I need those features.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2005
    Chose the Canon 24-70 due to the usm speed for my sport shots. Got it in the mail today.
    Greg