Options

Night Field Hockey

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited September 17, 2012 in Sports
Dagnabit! The high school at which I'm considered the girls' sports' unofficial mascot, has just installed an artificial turf surface on the stadium field. The field hockey folks are ecstatic (as they should be) but it means the games are now going to be played in the stadium at night under crappy lights instead of daytime on the old Bermuda-grass hockey pitch. Anyway, I got another cool goalkeeper shot last night that I wanted to share with y'all. This youngster is good. C&C welcome.

i-3FQMtzw-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    John, nice capture, it seems you and the D3S can handle the new field without a problem...When did you get the 300 F2.8
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2012
    About a year and a half ago. It's an old screw-drive and I got it from KEH. It performed well with the D300 and D700, but OH, MY, does the D3s drive that thing! Quite snappy focus. clap.gif
    John :
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    C&C? Hmm.... ummm... can you move the ball in front of her hand blocker? That's all I got.

clap.gif
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2012
    Thanks Jack.
    John :
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    Greats sports shot - FACT - Face, Action, Contact (anticipated) and Toys (ball and stick).
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    Very nice shot!
    Regards

Will
    edited August 29, 2012
    Thanks, Will.
    John :
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Nice shot John!

Guess I havn't been keeping up enough. When did you get the D3s?

Still haven't shot any sports with mine yet headscratch.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    rwells wrote: »

When did you get the D3s?

About five hours before I took that shot! clap.gif
    Thanks Randy. You have to get back to shooting sports . . . if only for fun.
    John :
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2012
    Thanks, Almira!
    John :
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    Yeah, John--just move the ball to the right a bit, and clone out that guy in the background upper right. Just kidding--really really nice shot!!

The other bad thing about turf pitches, which you may already know, are the heat waves that come off of them during a hot day. It makes any shot more than a dozen meters away look awful. I absolutely hate turf fields.
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2012
    Afterward
    So, I printed up an 8x10 and before Thursday night's game, presented it to the goalkeeper. She broke down screaming and crying. Her teammates came over and started jumping up and down and squealing like it was a Justin Bieber meet-and-greet. Ah . . . high school girls. :D Guess she liked it.
    John :
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    Those type of moments makes the time and effort all worthwhile doesn't it? clap.gif
  • Options
    Sweet!! It is a really lovely shot and she should be happy!

One of my favorite moments along these lines came last spring, when I attended a thank-you dinner for donors to my kids' school. It was at the house of a *very* wealthy family, and the daughter was on the school soccer team. When her parents learned that I was the photographer who shot all their games, they showed me a hallway in the house in which they had hung half a dozen of my shots, all beautifully printed, matted and framed. Looked better than anything I had on my walls!
  • Options
    jhefti wrote: »
    . . they showed me a hallway in the house in which they had hung half a dozen of my shots, all beautifully printed, matted and framed. Looked better than anything I had on my walls!

What an honor!! thumb.gif
    John :
  • Options
    Icebear wrote: »
    So, I printed up an 8x10 and before Thursday night's game, presented it to the goalkeeper. She broke down screaming and crying. Her teammates came over and started jumping up and down and squealing like it was a Justin Bieber meet-and-greet. Ah . . . high school girls. :D Guess she liked it.

Awesome.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    pipsterpipster Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2012

Be aware that a states organization that governs eligibility might have rules in regards to giving something of value to students. If you sell photos and give one to a student it could affect their eligibility.
  • Options
    pipster wrote: »
    Be aware that a states organization that governs eligibility might have rules in regards to giving something of value to students. If you sell photos and give one to a student it could affect their eligibility.
    Has anyone ever heard of a case in which a student athlete's eligibility was compromised by receipt of a photograph of the student? Anyplace? At any level? ne_nau.gif
    John :
  • Options
    Has anyone ever heard of a case in which a student athlete's eligibility was compromised by receipt of a photograph of the student? Anyplace? At any level? ne_nau.gif

Nope, I have researched this a bit. My 15 year old daughter is already getting recruited for college soccer (and she's sponsored!) so I have looked into the NCAA rules. There might be a problem if the college gave her free photos, but not photos taken by a parent or bystander. But I do need to be careful of some of the collegiate work I occasionally do--like the Stanford soccer team--since there is something of a conflict. However, Stanford is the one who is at risk, not my daughter so much.

For my part, I never sell high school sports photos; I give them away, both to families at our school and the opposing teams' families.
  • Options
    pipster wrote: »

Good thing those people probably don't assign any value to photographs. rolleyes1.gif
    -Jack