first sports post

MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited November 16, 2005 in Sports
These are a couple I took over the weekend. My daughter is a cheerleader for these little guys, so I get the opportunity to practice my shooting skills.
What lens do you guys mostly use? I was as close as I could get and using a 300mm most of the time and it just didn't seem enough.
Maybe I need to buy a bigger one :D

44198765-M.jpg

44198706-M.jpg

Comments and Critiques welcome,

Thanks,
Mel

Comments

• JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    The images did not show up. I did go look at your gallery and I think they came out pretty good. They key is to stand right around the line of scrimmage. As the play comes your way, you'll have some great close-ups! It might be easier to talk through additional tips. My phone number is under contact on my website if you want to give me a call.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Maybe you did something to correct the situation since the earlier replies, but I'm seeing your shots okay.

Nice captures.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Great shots, nice and clear just need to Crop them tighter and keep only the action.

I have some College Football on my smugmug page if you would like to check out some Constructive Cropping. Keep up the great shooting!

www.actionshots4u.smugmug.com
  • MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    thanks for the replies, everyone. I thought they might need to be cropped a little tighter.

Mel
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2005
    Sports suggestions and Links
    Joel many thanks from us also for your tips (and links) - has been helpful and most appreciated.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    MelP wrote:
    These are a couple I took over the weekend. My daughter is a cheerleader for these little guys, so I get the opportunity to practice my shooting skills.
    What lens do you guys mostly use? I was as close as I could get and using a 300mm most of the time and it just didn't seem enough.
    Maybe I need to buy a bigger one :D
    Comments and Critiques welcome,
    Most football seems to be done with 300 and 400mm lenses, and from f/2.8 to f/4. The two images I saw showed faces, which is the biggest thing - don't shoot backs, shoot faces. The best improvement you can make to these shots is simply to grab the crop tool in Photoshop. Get rid of excess image and crop in tight. Its like having a longer lens as the expense of pixels. I was taught to photograph football by manually cropping nearly every single image taken.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Good timing on those! I would suggest a little cropping like the others and maybe a little saturation. thumb.gif