Options

West of Hanksville, UT

AceRphAceRph Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited August 7, 2004 in Wildlife
Took this on the fly riding back from Ouray, CO last week.

6902237-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    AceRph wrote:
    Took this on the fly riding back from Ouray, CO last week.

6902237-S.jpg
    Nice composition and very beautiful subject. Needs some sort of color correction to make it work. No true shadows and there seems to be slight warm cast. Do you know how to correct by finding a the darkest and lightest points and then using curves to make them really black and white?
    If not there are tons of howtos online. I googled and found this, which seems reasonable.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    wave.gif hiya, Ace! That's a beautiful shot, nice grab of an American classic. A little contrast, a little straightening and a little cropping would make a difference, but that's a cool image, even without all that stuff.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 5, 2004
    6902237-S.jpg
    wxwax wrote:
    wave.gif hiya, Ace! That's a beautiful shot, nice grab of an American classic. A little contrast, a little straightening and a little cropping would make a difference, but that's a cool image, even without all that stuff.
    What is the name of this American classic? I was on Highway 12 in May, but I can't put a name to this geographic feature. This is Powell Point from that trip
    4411333-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    Hi waxy! wave.gif

I'm using Paint Shop Pro 6.0. I couldn't figure out how to make the corrections suggested by rutt with that program. So after fooling around with it for awhile this morning, I gave up.

So I straightened it, increased the contrast a little & cropped out the foreground.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    AceRph wrote:
    Hi waxy! wave.gif

I'm using Paint Shop Pro 6.0. I couldn't figure out how to make the corrections suggested by rutt with that program. So after fooling around with it for awhile this morning, I gave up.

So I straightened it, increased the contrast a little & cropped out the foreground.

Ooooh, that's 100% better. Nice job! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    This is Powell Point from that trip
    4411333-S.jpg

Wow, that's almost surreal, PF. Nice image.
    Sid.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    Ace,

I liked the Huntsville photo, but thought it needed something. While no expert at all, I did a quickie on a copy of the low resolution posted here. I hope that's ok?

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    Hi Sam! wave.gif

Of course, it's all right. How did you do the changes?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    AceRph wrote:
    Hi Sam! wave.gif

Of course, it's all right. How did you do the changes?
    Ace,

Here's the rub.....I don't have a set method. I do remember using a few of the color correction features, levels, contrast, satuuration, and maybe highlites/shadows. If I was working on the full file I think I would try to separate the sky and land. The sky seemed to pop right out while the land is still a little flat. The trick is to not over due the adjustments. My attempt was to see see if there was anything there on the low resolution, and provide some visual food for thought.