Three from today

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited August 18, 2012 in Street and Documentary
1i-SMCHB8L-L.jpg

2i-dnhG7B5-L.jpg

3i-pjQp76H-L.jpg

Quick backstory. The beach you see in the background is a dog park. I was taking my corgi out for some exercise, when a real deluge got started. On my way back to the car with Hobbes, I noticed this man out on the pier with the net.

I walked up to him and introduced myself. Took some shots in the monsoon. I would've stayed longer, but my card was mostly filled up (fail). I got back to the car, deleted crappy images, and was headed back when it simultaneously stopped raining, and he moved to the end of the pier and began fishing which I felt was relatively less interesting.

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    Nice ones, Quincy, especially one and three, which have a nice TWF quality. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Nice ones, Quincy, especially one and three, which have a nice TWF quality. ;-)

Thanks, B.D. I have to inquire on the meaning of TWF, though.

I'm disappointed with #2, in that I never got a truly great shot of him tossing the net. I have several other frames (8.5 FPS on the 1D Mark IIn does that), but I felt this was the strongest...even that is a crop.

I truly wasn't, in Capa's own words, "close enough". It will take me some time to get used to the different framing behind the 16-35, as opposed to the 24-70.
    edited August 18, 2012
    How about this?

i-d9rfH2Q-L.jpg
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    Good catches, Quincy.

Did you happen to notice if he was getting a good spread of the net when he was tossing it? I've thrown a net more times than I can count off my pier in the St. Johns River when the shrimp are running. This guy's style looks a little unorthodox to me....but he looks to be fairly tall and is throwing a larger net than I do. Let me tell you, you throw a net for a couple of hours and it's all you can do to drag yourself back up to the house.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 18, 2012
    Good catches, Quincy.

Did you happen to notice if he was getting a good spread of the net when he was tossing it? I've thrown a net more times than I can count off my pier in the St. Johns River when the shrimp are running. This guy's style looks a little unorthodox to me....but he looks to be fairly tall and is throwing a larger net than I do. Let me tell you, you throw a net for a couple of hours and it's all you can do to drag yourself back up to the house.

Take care,

Tom

It seemed like he knew what he was doing. Honestly, the guy was a medical doctor and was out there in a pretty intense rainstorm throwing that thing. That sort of screams "serious fishing net enthusiast guy" to me haha. I can only hope for his sake that he was having some luck...or at least doing well enough to make some luck, haha. ne_nau.gif
  • jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    I kinda like #2, fisherman gripping with the teeth and the look of intensity makes it interesting to me.

BTW, my corgi NEVER lets me photograph when I'm walking him. Yours is pretty understanding.