Options

3 Before and After Portraits

Ray DauphinaisRay Dauphinais Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited August 20, 2012 in People
I am primarily a people photographer. I truly believe two things – people are a funny lot and each face is beautiful in its own way.
I strive to bring both the personality and inner beauty to light.

The other night I teamed up with a MUA and a Hair Stylist for a bit of fun and a test shoot with models - Katie, Fallon Nicole and Amber Jean.
I took a ‘Before’ naked face picture of each girl as they arrived and selected one of my finished images for the ‘After’.
6819414101_4b82fee659_z.jpg
Amber Jean

I discussed the ‘look’ for each model with Ashley (MUA) and Sammy (Hair) as each girl arrived at the studio.
There is more to creating a memorable portrait than putting a person in the studio and snapping the image.
There are three major areas that can be controlled in a portrait session; good lighting, good make-up/hair and good post processing editing skills.
6819413759_6b52692fb1_z.jpg
Katie

I used a 47” Octobox, creating a large light source, as the main light and a 22” Beauty Dish as the hair light for Katie.
For Amber and Fallon I used a 86” PLM, bare silver reflective for Amber and diffused for Fallon’s picture.
These lighting setups help to give lighting that will hide the most blemishes and provide a good, well lit image to work in post.
6819413945_a82bbaba6e_z.jpg
Fallon

The key to a successful model portrait session is having a make-up artist put on a good base, designed for studio lights along with the right colors to match the model’s face and outfit. A professional hair stylist is critical to these kinds of images. Then it’s image selection and into Photoshop, to remove the blemishes, smooth the skin, add a adjust color and make the image pop.

I’m interested in your comments.

Ray
All my images are made with 100% recycled electrons.

Follow me on Twitter and Like me on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    SO true that the MUA, hair and (when available) clothing stylists really can make a shot happen in a way that is tough when you as the photographer are doing ALL of it.

I like these a lot - they also show how a model can look pretty "meh" before the magic in the studio, but will also know how to "switch on" for the camera. I think all of these shots show this, but none more than your blonde in the 2nd group - before and after are almost unrecognizable.

Curious about the 3rd model - she seems to have a very straight waist which, despite the semi-exposed breasts, gives her quite a masculine look, espeically as she seems pretty muscular with ripped abs. Faced somethign sort of similar myself this week - one of my shoots this week involved a gal who is quite slim, but has a classic inverted-triangle shape with HUGE shoulders and a thick, short neck (you'd believe she's a swimmer - she's not, but she looks like one). She also has very short hair which made it surprisingly difficult to create a soft, feminine look in many of her shots. ne_nau.gif

Really nice work on this set. thumb.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    wow..that's pretty amazing transformations. A good MUA is like good "pre-shot" post processing.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Absolutely great set set and explanation!!

The second is the killer..............

Little girl walks in and a beautiful young lady walks out.

This could be the best before and after I have seen.

Sam
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 19, 2012
    Awesome thread, Ray. Would you mind if other added before/after pairs to this thread?
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    Thanks for the comments and compliments everyone.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Divamum: Fallon is well proportioned in a sports sort of way. She is not difficult to flatter though. <G>A very classically shaped face.<o:p></o:p>
    Qarik: I agree but don’t forget the Hair Stylist, depending on the shape of the face, hair can really be the more important ‘pre-shot’ process.<o:p></o:p>
    Sam: Katie has an extremely oval shaped face with a pointy chin, the challenge of the evening.<o:p></o:p>
    Kdog: Share away.<o:p></o:p>
    Here are one more of each of the girls:

<o:p>6689867211_ca60be9e57.jpg</o:p>
    <o:p>Lighting was key to Katie oval face.</o:p>
    <o:p>6808597519_4831aa0b4d.jpg</o:p>
    <o:p>Amber Jean's square face required thoughtful angles.</o:p>
    <o:p>6785913444_9c61a55cf1.jpg</o:p>
    <o:p>Fallon's classically shaped face and body were uncomplicated to light. Gaining her trust with posing was key.</o:p>

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Ray, one of the things I'm really keen to learn is not only how to "see" face shapes - I'm ok with that - BUT then know exactly how to pose/position/light to taste and to flatter. I think most of us shooting lit portraits understand the benefit of light/shadow to sculpt a face and understand the basic "rules" for flattering (shoot from above slims, jawlines, 3/4 turns to gain cheekbones etc etc) but you're dealing with some real subtleties here and very sophisticated results here. How did you learn this? Is there a book/website/seminar which deals specifically with these kinds of things? I'm desperate to learn more - and haven't done too badly figuring out quite a few things on my own just through practice - but I know I could do sooooo much better with some more knowledge!! Curious as to how/where you learned thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    Great shots, Ray.

Ok, here's my input. This was a shoot for a friend of mine who's trying to establish herself as an MUA. So I found the model, and my friend did the hair and makeup.

Before
    i-hGJSDWc-L.jpg

After
    i-dGVxffm-L.jpg
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Ray, one of the things I'm really keen to learn is not only how to "see" face shapes - I'm ok with that - BUT then know exactly how to pose/position/light to taste and to flatter. I think most of us shooting lit portraits understand the benefit of light/shadow to sculpt a face and understand the basic "rules" for flattering (shoot from above slims, jawlines, 3/4 turns to gain cheekbones etc etc) but you're dealing with some real subtleties here and very sophisticated results here. How did you learn this? Is there a book/website/seminar which deals specifically with these kinds of things? I'm desperate to learn more - and haven't done too badly figuring out quite a few things on my own just through practice - but I know I could do sooooo much better with some more knowledge!! Curious as to how/where you learned thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

I'd be interested as well. What you have done here is outstanding!
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Great makeup does it but you added another super step in the process with your talent. Great work.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    Thanks you guys, you’re very kind.

Divamum and Dreadnote: This is self-taught, I have been asked to “teach me the way you see people”, I truly wish I could. Here’s the best I can offer:

I study people every chance I get, I have lost the thread of conversations because of being distracted by the catch lights in the eyes of the person in front of me.

I am a slow picture taker, I started with film and learned to compose, expose and fill the frame before pushing the shutter button. Digital sped me up but compared to most I’ve shot with, I am much – much slower.

I always spend a few minutes with my subjects to:

understand their needs and wants for the session
    learn their personality
    explain my style of shooting (slow, I talk, etc)
    develop trust

I study their face to determine which side of their face they sleep on? (It is a small difference in the shape of their face but can make a world of difference to the portrait.)

I discuss with hair and makeup how I want their facial features highlighted or concealed.

Sorry for the long winded reply, I don't mean to preach.

Kdog: Very nice result, your MUA friend did well.

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    After seeing the results of Ray and now kdog I think I need a live in MUA to fix me up every day. :D

Sam
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Really incredible work. I will be watching your posts closely, Ray! You are apparently a wealth of talent to draw experience from.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    Sam: Me too. <g>

Quincy: Thank you very much. I just get lucky sometimes.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    Kdog: Very nice result, your MUA friend did well.
    Thanks! I'll pass on your kudos. She and I are both fairly new to this.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    You my friend are a photographers photographer. Excelsior!

I know I've seen Katie somewhere before, have you posted images of her prior to this?
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    Thank you Bryce.

I don't think I have posted Katie on DGrin bfore.

Ray
    You my friend are a photographers photographer. Excelsior!

I know I've seen Katie somewhere before, have you posted images of her prior to this?