Options

DSS #109 choices

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited August 20, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I haven't had much free time lately. Finally found some free time today but I found it very hard to think of something I wanted to shoot. I wanted something other than the normal. It actually kept me awake half the night... waking up thinking of things. None of those seemed to work, so I spent the afternoon just taking pictures of all sorts of things, just hoping something would work. I have three that I like. Any opinion on which works best?

1. Colored Pencil - It's been done before, but I had to try it.
IMG1144-1-XL.jpg

2. Q tip - The shots of the q-tips surprised me how well they worked out.
IMG1132-1-XL.jpg

3. Needle Nose Pliers - One of my first subjects, I like the edge, but thinking it isn't really focused well. I could reshoot it.
IMG0952-1-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    The Qtip is great!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Wish the pliers were more crisp....love the zig-zag shape and the scruffiness of the metal surface.
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    I'm a fan of the Q-tip because of the lighting. Has a moody feel to it (even though it's a Q-tip!) The other two seem a bit like a "product" shot so don't hold my interest in the same way as the (moody) Q-tip.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    The Qtip is great!
    Wish the pliers were more crisp....love the zig-zag shape and the scruffiness of the metal surface.
    GretaPics wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the Q-tip because of the lighting. Has a moody feel to it (even though it's a Q-tip!) The other two seem a bit like a "product" shot so don't hold my interest in the same way as the (moody) Q-tip.

kdotaylor, Thanks, I think that is the one I am leaning toward.

sweetharmony, Thanks.. I like the zig-zag too. I tried to re-shoot and didn't come up with anything I liked. I don't know why, but I just can't get them the way I wanted.

GretasPics, Thanks... I guess that is what I like is the lighting. Kinda of funnt since I lit it with a tiny little clip on light I got somewhere. Not good for much else. :D

I appreciate the comments!!
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    I think any of these could work with the right lighting. I like the subjects, but for me, the first two are too dark and the third could use some light coming in from the right. You loose the awesome zig zag in the shadow cast IMHO. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I think any of these could work with the right lighting. I like the subjects, but for me, the first two are too dark and the third could use some light coming in from the right. You loose the awesome zig zag in the shadow cast IMHO. :)

:D Interesting, Thanks!
    Yes, they are a bit dark. That is just what I tend to shoot. I can't seem to take light pictures. I like dark, bright colors... all our own taste I guess. It completely throws me when I have to work with lighter things. I will play with them, some and see what I come up with.
    The third, the pliers, I tried lighting it several ways and haven't found anything that works. I may give it another shot if I get a chance later.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    I like the detail in the pencil. The shadows detract a bit. It might be better if you shot from a lower angle.

The qtip has the best lighting. I like the way it really fades out in the BG. I am not sure about the comp. It is pretty horizontal. Blue is my favorite color, so the BG appeals to me.

Th pliers are a miss for me, both because of the focus and the brightness of the red, which overpowers the subject.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    I really like the qtip - the lighting really makes the shot moody. You could play with the crop a bit & see if you like it better at an angle or sideways.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/