Close Up/Macro Advise needed...

PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
edited August 20, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK... so I took a little day trip yesterday. These aren't necessarily getting close AND making small things big... but they are close up. Do any of these meet the theme well enough?

i-Zknvzt7-L.jpg

i-QpQFDGd-L.jpg

These I took with this challenge in mind... but the light out was so harsh that they didn't exactly come out as intended.

i-Swspbcg-L.jpg

i-2t2jq2K-L.jpg
Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you...I haven't done any macros, but I have some close-ups that probably aren't close enough.

Just for sheer aesthetic value, I really like #2. It a very nice composition, I like the reflection in the water, and I like the way the water reflects the light onto the bird's feathers. But...I don't think it is strong on theme. I love the shot though.

For this theme, I like #3. I like the composition, but agree the light is a bit harsh.

Sherry
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Yea, that's what I thought on the more "macro shots" ... bad time of day for those. This challenge has been difficult for me, when I think "close up" I don't think macro... I think of getting up close and personal with someone or something but not as close up as say a macro would be. So, in my mind my birds would work... but I think in this case, they really mean macro even if not necessarily using a macro lens. I do have a macro lens but I'm just a little at a loss for something to shoot that isn't so cliche.

I do have one more bird that I forgot to include... I really like this guy too...

i-VZW3Ks6-L.jpg
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    I am OK with the closeups you have, but they all seem to lack a little sharpness.

I like the water reflections on the bird in #2, but the kelp is a distraction.

The breast on #5 is a little washed out. I think it is the best. Maybe you could pull out some detail in PP?

#3 might work if you could sharpen it a bit. #4 is too busy.

#1 is nice, but the softness bothers me. Maybe I have spent too much time in wildlife. :D
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    I think the bird shots are close-ups & the theme is close ups OR macro. That said, the gallery does seem to have mostly macro shots.

I like #5 & on my monitor it doesn't look overexposed, I see some detail in the feathers except maybe in the spot towards the bird's neck. Nice neutral background & like the drip.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/