Nikon COOLPIX S800c, Camera/Smartphone

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
edited August 22, 2012 in Cameras
For some years now there have been cell phones with a basic camera capability. In fact a lot of the most basic, entry level P&S digital cameras have disappeared because smartphone/cameras replaced them.

Nikon turned the tables, somewhat, with a digital camera that's also a smart phone.

Meet the Nikon COOLPIX S800c, Camera/Smartphone:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26356/COOLPIX-S800c.html
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 22, 2012
    The "phone" part of this device is pretty limited in that it only has WiFi connectivity, not 3G/4G like a real smartphone has. Still, if you are close to a wireless hotspot you should be able to connect to the Internet and your account and make basic phone calls.

Otherwise, this is a Coolpix S6300 with an Android 2.3 device attached. Hopefully, that means some significant applications can be produced with the camera front-end in mind.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    I didn't read to much up on it yet, but it sounds like a neat idea. Though I likely won't be getting one. I can see it being used and sought after if it has expandable storage for like music and such. Sure it will have better image quality than a cellphone, but I don't see it being a huge attraction though. But as you mentioned, the apps that could be created can add a whole new element to this.