Upgrade from Canon 450D

TusharDalviTusharDalvi Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited August 24, 2012 in Cameras
Hi Guys,
I currently have a Canon D450 with Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6, Canon 135mm f/2L USM and a Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. I enjoy photography as a hobby and run a small photoblog at http://tushardalvi.smugmug.com . I mostly enjoy clicking portraits, cityscapes and landscapes. Lately, I have been thinking of upgrading my camera body to Canon 7D/ 5D mark ii . I have read several blogs and posts suggesting how one is better than the other. However, can somebody advise me on the benefits I can get by upgrading to either 7D or 5D mark ii from my current 450D. How would the shots differ (450D vs 7D) if I prefer to shoot only in RAW mode?

Thanks

Comments

• El ComatEl Comat Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    I went from a 450D to a 40D to a 7D. The nice thing about sticking with a crop sensor is that you can keep using your 18-55 and 10-22. The picture quality of the 7D is fantastic, but obviously the 5D II will have better high ISO performance (the 7d is no slouch, though!). However, if you want to get full performance out of all 18 MP on your 7D, you'll probably want a better everyday lens (17-55 or 15-85) that is a tad sharper. I'm plenty happy with my 7D and rarely wish I could use ISO 6400 or higher. ISO 3200 or even 4000 has been ok to use when I need it.

As for your 2nd question about the RAW files, you'll mostly notice that the 7D files (and images) are just a lot bigger. Sorry for the unscientific answer, but that's all I've really noticed. I'm sure there are other minute details, but I'll let smart guys like Ziggy go there :D.

Good luck!
    EC
    Hi Guys,
    I currently have a Canon D450 with Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6, Canon 135mm f/2L USM and a Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. I enjoy photography as a hobby and run a small photoblog at http://tushardalvi.smugmug.com . I mostly enjoy clicking portraits, cityscapes and landscapes. Lately, I have been thinking of upgrading my camera body to Canon 7D/ 5D mark ii . I have read several blogs and posts suggesting how one is better than the other. However, can somebody advise me on the benefits I can get by upgrading to either 7D or 5D mark ii from my current 450D. How would the shots differ (450D vs 7D) if I prefer to shoot only in RAW mode?

Thanks
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited August 22, 2012
    ... I mostly enjoy clicking portraits, cityscapes and landscapes. ...

The Canon 5D MKII is a very good portrait and xxxxscape body. The control over DOF is greater than on a crop camera, using the same or similar lenses, lending to better control of the separation between subject and foreground/background. The 5D MKII is also better with DR (dynamic range) and SNR (signal to noise ratio) at every ISO.

The 5D MKII also has larger photosites, which account for most of the DR and SNR improvements, but that also means a little more detail for the same lenses.

The Canon EF 135mm, f2L USM is a lens that very much loves the 5D MKII. Portraits using that combination have a very nice smoothness in the continuous tones, while the details are extremely crisp.

The main problem with the 5D MKII is the autofocus section. The only reliable AF point on that camera is the center point, unless you have very good light. For your applications of portraits and xxxxscapes I would not think that would be a major issue.

Your EF-S lenses, the 18-55mm and the 10-22mm zooms, will not fit the FF bodies, if that is a concern.

The 450D/XSi to 7D would be a more direct upgrade with improvements in almost every area, but not quite as good or as major an upgrade as the 5D MKII. While the dRebel 450D/XSi is an entry level body the 7D is a much more robust construction and the more modern imager plus more modern image processor mean better DR and SNR than the XSi. The AF section is very advanced and capable of excellent sports/action responsiveness in good light. In poor light the 7D does slow down in both AF and in image acquisition. The 7D is very competent for portraits and xxxxscapes, just not quite as tonally smooth nor as crisp as the 5D MKII with the best lenses.

All of your lenses will fit the 7D just fine.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    +1 on everything Ziggy said.

The 135mm f/2.0L and 5D MKII get a very big thumbs up for portraits. I am extremely happy with the images I get with this combination. I handed my camera to a friend while I was giving a talk at a conference so that he could shoot pictures of me and my fellow panel members. After shooting with it he told me that my secret was out! I think the words, "unfair advantage" passed his lips and it was clear that he would not have minded if I let him keep the camera.

As you may have noticed, the 5D2 is under price pressure in the used market right now since the 5D3 came out.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    5D Classic wouldn't be a bad choice either. Save money for lenses that way.

For what you're into, I wouldn't go with the 7D...and that's a proud owner of the 7D, albeit one who uses it for much different subject matter, saying so.
  • jwngreenjwngreen Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    I moved from a 550D to a 5D Classic and have loved it. I agree with Quincy that it might be a good place to start. You can pick up used a used 5Dc for a good price and probably not lose much if you turned it around in a year to upgrade to a MKII (which would be cheaper by then). It would give you a good taste of full frame and you could always sell and get a 7D later.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    Hi Guys,

Thanks

like others have said, for portraits, landscapes, etc. the 5D or 5D MkII would be a good upgrade, the 5D2 was recently on the "loyalty" program for $1.407