Options

Couple pictures from Wedding Reception

nlatshanlatsha Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited August 25, 2012 in People
Hey all,

I am new to the forum. I have lurked for quite some time now. I have had my Nikon D90 for a few years now. I am slowing acquiring gear and gaining my knowledge. I have covered events for my friends and some Church ones for free. I feel I am ready to start charging, taking on clients, and starting a photog business on the side. Trying to get in on some weddings as a second. I have one D90, 24-70 2.8, 18-200, 50 1.8. Just bought a D700, 5n1 reflector with stand. Should I go ahead and get the 85 for my d700? C&C is appreciated. Thanks!

ClintArrWeddingRecp-15-M.jpg

ClintArrWeddingRecp-12-M.jpg

ClintArrWeddingRecp-13-L.jpg

ClintArrWeddingRecp-49-L.jpg

ClintArrWeddingRecp-30-L.jpg

ClintArrWeddingRecp-93-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    Don't have a lot of time but wanted to jump in and welcome you to our forum.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    Thank you!!
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    No I would not get the 85 since you have the 24 70 but get the 70-200 2.8. I think it is my most used lens.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    Greetings and welcome to the forum. A nicer place for help and honest critique from people who care you will not find.

Let me ask, are these images the result of you walking around and covering the event PJ style, or was your intent to have them be posed portraiture?

And I second the motion on the 70-200 2.8. The 24-70 will get a workout for sure when doing weddings, but the 70-200 will be your favorite for many other things.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. Love this forum.

Yes these were PJ style. I shoot more like that. I do need to learn poses. I've seen some of your work Bryce and really like your posing technique.

Guess I'll start saving my pennies for that 70-200. :-)
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    Thanks!

OK...

Except for the last image, which I think is very nice, the backgrounds are really distracting to me. All the clutter kind of makes the eye wander around rather than focusing on the subjects.

Take the second image for example. Two pretty gals with great smiles should keep my attention on them. But I can't help but look at the grill behind them, and the fence and houses that are quite in focus. Now, knowing you were doing PJ and aren't setting these up to be portraits, DOF is your biggest friend. Instead of shooting this image at f/9 and 42mm, if you would have taken a few steps back and shot closer to 70mm and an aperture of 2.8 with the D90 or even 4 with the D700, you would have thrown much of the background clutter out of focus and thereby cause your subjects to "pop" more.

Hope this was what you were looking for.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2012
    Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Bryce. I want to make all my images pop more. Right now I am on the cusp of a few excellent images and several lack luster ones. I want to get to the point of excellence all the time. I agree DOF is what I need to keep focus on the subjects. The D700 is coming in tomorrow. I plan to do one on one shoots for my friends for free to examine if I am there yet to take clients. I'll post here for C&C. Thanks again!!

edit: Oh yeah I am staying away from the selective color! Hah!!
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    were you the main photographer for this? Also were you using on camera flash? Im sorry, but looking at these I dont feel you are ready to start charging. Purchasing a D700 isnt going to increase the quality of your images enough to start charging. I also have a D90 and I wont be upgrading until I honestly need to. You should have spent that money on a 70-200. I think you need to do more researching on technique and practice practice practice. I would say give it a good year of shooting before you start charging. Also if you want to shoot weddings get with a local photographer and start shooting as an intern or a possible second. Weddings can be brutal and if you mess up theres no going back and fixing it. Sorry if that came across as rude or too much. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2012
    Yes I was the main photog. I was using a sb-600 with a stofen. Thanks for the input. The main reason I wanted to go with the D700 is I want to use the D90 as a backup. I agree I do need more practice. I am not expecting the D700 to make me amazing. I do intend to get the 70-200 asap. I am not going to jump on weddings right away. I have a friend that shoots them and I offered to shoot seconds for free. Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2012
    Oh I also bought the D700 used on Adorma. They have some really great prices since a lot of people upgraded to the D800. Might want to check it out Doogin. :)
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    were you the main photographer for this? Also were you using on camera flash? Im sorry, but looking at these i dont feel you are ready to start charging. Purchasing a d700 isnt going to increase the quality of your images enough to start charging. I also have a d90 and i wont be upgrading until i honestly need to. You should have spent that money on a 70-200. I think you need to do more researching on technique and practice practice practice. I would say give it a good year of shooting before you start charging. Also if you want to shoot weddings get with a local photographer and start shooting as an intern or a possible second. Weddings can be brutal and if you mess up theres no going back and fixing it. Sorry if that came across as rude or too much. Good luck!

+1
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    One vote for the 85 1.4. For me, nothing beats fast primes. The 24-70 and 70-200 are versatile but bricks.

It's really a personal preference.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2012
    Thanks for the input troopers. Weight is something to consider.

I also would like to shoot Jiu jitsu events and in poorly lit gyms the 24-70 2.8 isn't enough to get a fast enough shutter. Maybe with the d700 it will be. I have read lots of people shooting basketball use the 85. Jiu jitsu and wrestling events usually have poorer lighting that bball.
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    Im sorry, but you must not own the 24-70 2.8. A lens is not going to do much for you in terms of low lighting in a gym. If you shoot that event any more open than 2.8 your focus point is going to be so small that the pictures will be throw aways. A D700 is all you need on top of a pro level lens be it a 24-70 2.8 or the 85 1.4. If weight is a problem then the D700 probably is your best option in terms of full frame, but it is noticeably heavier than your D90.

But on topic with your pictures you say you used a SB-600. Was this on camera pointed straight at the subject? The lighting on every one of those shots (with a slight difference in #) is very flat and straight on. You can tell because of the location of the catch lights in their eyes. If you have an SB-600 I would say point that sucker at the ceiling or a wall or take it off camera using CLS and put it on a stand camera left or right. Get the light to have some sort of shape. One thing you can try (and I say this with caution in mind) is take it off camera and hold it in one hand and shoot with the other. Its tricky and can be heavy at times, but way better results. As for being a second shooter for a wedding I suggest you go to a couple weddings with your friend. Dont take your camera. Just go and be an assistant. Hold a reflector. Hold a light whatever it may be. Watch how he/she shoots. You need to try different angles, hide around some corners, shoot through a chair, shoot standing on a chair. Anything that will change the perspective. All of your shoots (not trying to be rude just trying to help) look like you are just standing straight at them. Just some tid bits of info. Please dont hate me!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2012
    Im sorry, but you must not own the 24-70 2.8.
    Appreciate the constructive criticism, but don't call me a liar. Why would I lie about that? I own the damn lens. Again maybe it was the D90 I used at the time to drop the f-stop down, shutter to acceptable levels to stop action, and high iso it produced unacceptable grain when I shot BJJ events. Yes there was another photographer that shoots for his website with a 50 1.4 at most of them. I hope the better capabilities of the D700 doesn't have as much grain.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2012
    DSC0005-L.jpg

UPS finally arrived today and there it is! For a USED D700 it looks brand new! I can't wait to get out and shoot with this baby. Yes, I will be taking the criticism to heart and implementing new techniques. I also am going to sign up at the Community College and actually take some classes. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    Good luck with the jiu-jitsu images.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    When I shoot an event my first priority is to scan for backgrounds, not subjects. Once I find a few backgrounds I know will not detract from subjects, I can easily get people turned in the right direction and standing in the right places. That does not violate your photojournalistic bent, but I guarantee will it'll vastly improve your product. Eventually it will become second nature, and you'll find yourself usually in the right place, facing the right direction when a great photo op presents itself to you.

Enjoy the D700, and get the 70-200. Best thing you'll ever do for your upper bodymwink.gif.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2012
    Looking forward to seeing how this does on the noise, nice equipment. Lol, the next thing on you're list, a set of Pixel King off camera ttl triggers. Off camera flash opens up a whole new vista to explore. I was looking at them at the same time Diva was, but she beat me to the purchase lol.
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2012
    nlatsha wrote: »
    UPS finally arrived today and there it is! For a USED D700 it looks brand new! I can't wait to get out and shoot with this baby. Yes, I will be taking the criticism to heart and implementing new techniques. I also am going to sign up at the Community College and actually take some classes. Thanks again!

Enjoy the D700...IT is a great camera. I was one of those that moved up to the D800 from the D700.