Options

The Candidate's Wife

SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited August 23, 2012 in People
I'm working as a campaign photographer again this year and shot a fundraiser on Monday evening. It was a casual affair in a place that has lots of big windows.

This is perhaps my most favorite photo of the event; the candidate's wife and their brand spankin'-new daughter.

Lynn-Brooklyn-08-20-12-Img3158-L.jpg

Backlighting courtesy of a brilliant and crystal-clear sunset; I used fill-flash to keep mom and baby from becoming silhouettes. Post-processing consisted of a crop, very minor highlight adjustment, then sharpening.

PJ.
Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    Congrats to Lynn and Don.

Not sure if your wanting critique on this, but, I'm guessing Lynn is a bit taller than you as I think the image would have been better, and the subject more attractive, if the angle of attack were a bit higher. Although, I can see your thoughts on the angle you took so as not to loose the baby's face behind that big pink flower.

Adding a light modifier to the on camera flash will give you much more pleasing fill results when doing tight shots such as these.
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    Thanks, Bryce. I do welcome and very much appreciate constructive criticism.

You're right about height; we're pretty close but who looks up at the other depends on which one of us is wearing high heels that particular day. For this shot I shifted down a bit so they were as backlit as possible by all the bright, golden light and so we can see more of the baby.

I like your suggestion about diffusing the flash; will try that at the next opportunity. (Of which there will be many since the campaign season is now heading into full swing.)

PJ.

Congrats to Lynn and Don.

Not sure if your wanting critique on this, but, I'm guessing Lynn is a bit taller than you as I think the image would have been better, and the subject more attractive, if the angle of attack were a bit higher. Although, I can see your thoughts on the angle you took so as not to loose the baby's face behind that big pink flower.

Adding a light modifier to the on camera flash will give you much more pleasing fill results when doing tight shots such as these.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)