Options

Senior Portrait with a Horse

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 25, 2012 in People
Meet Jessica and Wendell. Jess wants to be a large animal vet.

5D34638-X2.jpg

5D34693-X3.jpg

5D34713b-X3.jpg

5D34757-X2.jpg

5D34792-X2.jpg

5D34818-X2.jpg

c&c welcome. This was my first shoot with a horse, and Jess taught me a llittle photographic tip about horses that wouldn't have occurred to me - ears pricked forward is the desired pose for horse photos! Yikes, this was tough to manage because apparently when a horse is "bored" the ears go sideways and it makes the horse look rather donkey-ish. And this was one bored horse. This annoyed Jessica towards the end of the shoot and it affected some photos. Anyway, thanks for looking!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    1 is a really nice portrait....better if the hooves weren't clipped.
    Still the setting is very complimentary and the colors and textures are very nice.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2012
    Thanks Mike. On that note, I took two versions of 4... for some reason I am drawn a little more to the one with the feet cut off... am I just wrong?

5D34756-XL.jpg

5D34757-XL.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    You need the hooves :) (although I would clone out the sign on the rh side)

Also, I think the ears pretty much kill #5. Have you considered doing some ear swaps? Not that difficult if you have multiple shots in the same pose. Pick the one that's best of the girl, then do a switcheroonie on the ears in photoshop.

Beautiful set, regardless of these nits - really, really nice thumb.gif
  • Options
    RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    Nice series, but number 1 bothers me in that her shirt rode up. That bright white against the black draws the attention to that area and makes her look a little "larger" than she is, if that makes sense. In number 3, the black slims her down nicely.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    You need the hooves :) (although I would clone out the sign on the rh side)

Also, I think the ears pretty much kill #5. Have you considered doing some ear swaps? Not that difficult if you have multiple shots in the same pose. Pick the one that's best of the girl, then do a switcheroonie on the ears in photoshop.

See, not being a horse person myself, the ears do not bother me in the slightest, and I really like 5. She is using it as her fb profile pic now. But I understand if they are like brake dust on front wheels. In Jess's words, the horse was being a "total butt-hole" by this time in the shoot. I have 18 possible ear donor shots from that setting, but there are no good ears. wtf.
    Beautiful set, regardless of these nits - really, really nice thumb.gif

Thanks iloveyou.gif
    Ridgetop wrote: »
    Nice series, but number 1 bothers me in that her shirt rode up. That bright white against the black draws the attention to that area and makes her look a little "larger" than she is, if that makes sense. In number 3, the black slims her down nicely.

I agree about 1. I just love the rest of it. I will never understand these hip-hugger jeans which only work on supermodels. 3 might be my favorite.
    -Jack

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    Awesome stuff!

About the jeans... This whole skinny-jean fad drives me nuts. I think a lot of people have misinterpreted the word "skinny" in skinny-jean. It seems most think it means that the jeans make you appear skinny. Uh... No. The term skinny is mean to say that this cut of jean is meant for women (and men in LA) that have no hips... string beans basically. Curvy women should NEVER, EVER, NEVER wear skinny jeans. Not that the jeans she is wearing are skinny-jeans, just thought I vent.

OK... My metrosexual side has spoken.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2012
    ahhhh 3 and 4 are uber lovely. Nice job !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2012
    Thanks all. I am with you on the jeans, Cuban!
    -Jack