Dick Smith, gunsmith, Blue Hill, ME

DickSmithGunSmith-X2.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    love the portrait as far as technique is concerned. The light falls off nicely in the background and good job keeping the reflection out of his glasses. However, I wouldn't know he is a gunsmith unless you wrote it. I only knew that the BG had rifles in it because I looked for them.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    The first one seems off balance to me,but the second one, I really like. Well executed !
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    The first one seems off balance to me,but the second one, I really like. Well executed !

LMole - go look at some of Gene Richard's work, and then see what you think.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    Kind of an interesting dilemma in #2. If that's a portrait of Dick Smith, then it's a
    good portrait of a man in his favorite place: his workshop.

If that's a portrait of Dick Smith, gunsmith, then it lacks an aspect that shows
    that he's a gunsmith. I see a few rifles in the shadows to the right, but that
    doesn't convey to me that he makes, repairs, or works on guns. Just that he
    has them. No tools or devices or work in progress in sight that say "gunsmith" to me.

As either, Dick Smith is portrayed well. I think #2 might go over better just as
    a portrait of Dick Smith.

I don't know, or know of, Eugene Roberts. I like the photo, though, because
    it portrays Roberts as an elusive man...a man that is used to being behind
    the camera and not in front of it.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited August 24, 2012
    Tony, you and others make a good point about the guns. I'll go back into the 'darkroom' and rework the image. As to Gene Richards, take a look at some of his work, and then at the image.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Tony, you and others make a good point about the guns. I'll go back into the 'darkroom' and rework the image. As to Gene Richards, take a look at some of his work, and then at the image.

He seems to do a lot of head and head and torso shots, so you've
    captured him as he captures others.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited August 25, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    He seems to do a lot of head and head and torso shots, so you've
    captured him as he captures others.
    And particularly a lot of close, wide stuff, with something or someone out of focus. Btw - he is, in my opinion, the Eugene Smith of our day.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2012
    B.D., I see a gunsmith for sure (but that's only because my father was one, and it reminds me a great deal of him).
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2012
    Hadn't you posted the Eugene Richards shot a couple of years back, or is this fresh? I went through a few of the galleries on his website this evening. Confronting stuff. Much more so than Eugene Smith. My thinking on the second shot is simply that the background is slightly too dark to allow us to interpret the setting. Lifting the shadows ever so much might help.

As things go, I've been doing a lot of environmental portrait stuff over the last three weeks or so associated with the Documentary Photography course I've been in that finished today. I'll share some in the near future.
    edited August 26, 2012
    Don't remember whether I did or didn't, Jenn, but it certainly is possible that I did. And yes, I do need to ease up the shadows. Meanwhile, can't wait to see what you did in the course.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »

Dynamic comes to my mind . But I have a question regarding a documentary image, if a documentary image is basically a police report of a dead body or car accident or something like that,made out of indifference without any feeling for the subject. Is there another purpose for this police report,list of details,type image,for example, to wake up politicians with the shock value,bring attention to a cause ? I don't really know anything about Eugene Smith,but I have read a lot about Walker Evans and how he established the documentary style as art in photography.
    edited August 27, 2012
    Documentary photography is a term that encompasses all sorts of subjects, and many styles. There really is no requirement that it be "police report" photography. Smith, who did both traditional photo journalism, and documentary work, is the very definition of a 'compassionate,' or 'passionate' photographer. Eugene Richards, to site just one modern example, is a passionate, committed, photographer, who shoves the viewer's face into the worst kinds of abuses and horrors.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Lens,

Not that any one label is ever going to put this discussion to rest, I'd refer to the style you outlined as Forensic or Evidentiary photography. Photojournalism as an extension or part of written and photographic reporting. Documentary, more long form engaged or thoughtful photoessay. But there are seldom hard and fast lines between them.

Don't try to fit into any one of them. None of those Dudes or Dudettes we often refer to as "Masters" do. Just photograph what's interesting or meaningful to you and think about how they tell the stories you want to share.