Options

Dc

chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited August 28, 2012 in Journeys
...I'm going to Washington DC for a few days and one of my "bucket list" stops is the Air and Space Museum in the Smithsonian complex. I'll be shooting with a D800 but just thought I'd throw out the question: What lens would you take? I've a good 24-70, actually a good wide and the new Nikon 70-200 also...but I'm just wondering; what about the 105 or the 50 primes? I'm not gonna load up with a bunch of lenses, so it's gonna be one only!
Charlie Groh
(tin can tied to the bumper)

Comments

• Options
    sfl2000sfl2000 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2012
    chasgroh2 wrote: »
    ...I'm going to Washington DC for a few days and one of my "bucket list" stops is the Air and Space Museum in the Smithsonian complex. I'll be shooting with a D800 but just thought I'd throw out the question: What lens would you take? I've a good 24-70, actually a good wide and the new Nikon 70-200 also...but I'm just wondering; what about the 105 or the 50 primes? I'm not gonna load up with a bunch of lenses, so it's gonna be one only!

If its only one lens you are bringing, I recommend the 24-70mm, it will pretty much covers everything from indoor to outdoor! Have a wonderful trip!

Sau
    http://www.sflphotography.net/
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    There are two Air and Space Museums - one in DC and on in Chantilly Va that was added about 8 years ago to handle huge aircraft. The DC one has lots of daylight, although there are some walk inside attractions, so your two lens and camera will do extremely well. I would take both because there are some items hanging from the ceiling that would be cool to capture with the longer lens.

Lived there for 18 years and that was my favorite DC attraction other than working very near the White House.

Please post some pics when you return.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Ditto on the 24-70. You'll likely find much of the museum to be too confined for anything much longer. Lots of great exhibits. Be forewarned that some of the National Mall behind the museum is undergoing constrution, so some of the views will be interrupted.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    I'd try the 50 and 24-70..
    I understand it overlaps, but the 50 will work perfect in low light conditions...
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    With a D800 where you can push the ISO and in that buidling where there is lots of natural light for most of the museum, I don't believe you really need to worry. I would take the 2.8 70-200mm in addition to the 2.8 24-70mm because from the ground floor you should be able to get some close up shots of the planes, etc. hanging from the ceiling.

Anyway if I had that camera and those two lenses that is what I would do.

Have fun and I hope you show us images later.
    Phi;
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Ah, I didn't read that it'd be well-lit.
    Either way, IMO a 50 works well in any situation and is small enough to pocket.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    babowc wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't read that it'd be well-lit.
    Either way, IMO a 50 works well in any situation and is small enough to pocket.

...I'm in DC right now, just did the A&S museum today, along with a LOT of walking along the mall. I ended-up with my 24-70 and, yes, *thought* about the 50, but when I walked out of the hotel room I had my Tokina DX Fisheye in my fanny pack. Actually hooked it up in DX mode and utilized the widest (10mm) look I could get for some of the areas. It looked good at the time, but I have yet to go through 'em. I'm gonna try to get down the National Mall tomorrow morning at 6AM...had a chat with a park employee and he gave me a tip or two...we'll see! Also will get the other A&S exhibit at Dullas Airport tomorrow...hahaha, with the real purpose of the trip added on (I'll be shooting 3 days of band competitions...the football field kind) I should be working well into October on this stuff!
    Charlie Groh
    (tin can tied to the bumper)
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    Definitely take a fast lens to the Udvar-Hazy Center - it's a huge facility with tons of really interesting planes, but it's very dimly lit.
    DSC1717-M.jpg

I'd put the 105 prime as well as the wider zoom into your pocket.

The museum on the mall has a lot of natural light for the most part but there are still sections that aren't ideally lit, but you're a lot closer to many of the planes than in the big hangar out in Chantilly.