Camera Suggestion for Photographing Jewelry

artjewelleryartjewellery Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 28, 2012 in Cameras
Hi,

I am selling my jewelry online for which I require a camera to photograph my products. I read online about the tips of jewelry photography - more particularly lightning which is a very important aspect for macro photography.
I am buying the constant-lights, and have made a box for photography as well.
Could you someone suggest me some entry level cameras which I can look out for photographing my products. My budget is $150-$250.
As recommended by some experts, I am not looking for mega-pixels or zoom, my major concern is macro photography. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited August 26, 2012
    Important attributes for a "small product" camera:
    The ability to use manual exposure controls for the camera. (Manual aperture, shutter speed and ISO. The built-in flash should also be able to shut off.)

The ability to trigger an external flash. While you may not feel you need it now, when you desire more color fidelity and have a larger budget, you'll want the capability.

The ability to add accessory filters; i.e. a screw-on filter capability.

Cameras that I used in the past for product photography:
    Sony DSC-F828, w/VCL-M3358, 58mm Close Up Lens
    Konica Minolta Dimage A2, w/CL49-200, 49mm Close Up Lens

The reason to use the accessory close-up lens is to allow a longer working distance from the subject.

Both of these cameras also have a "PC" flash connector to allow for external flash (which you will very much want some day.)

Both of these cameras are far out of production and only available used, but both are capable of what you want in a product photography camera. You can often find the cameras either on EBay or Amazon as used cameras, and you can find them in your price range. The accessory close-up lenses are harder to find and they will push your budget, but they are worth pursuing IMO. (I have more than 30 years experience in product photography.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2012
    Ziggy is right; your ability to control exposure compensation will be the most important aspect of jewelry photography...

Most of the time, you'll either want to photograph your pieces on a pure black felt background, or a pure white background. Here's an example:

MS19902-XL.jpg

(I photograph my wife's jewelry for her, I guess she's kinda spoiled because I use my $3,000 DSLR Laughing.gif...)

...The point is, this image would not be possible with any camera that didn't have very good exposure control. I often under-expose images by 2-3 stops, or for all-white backgrounds I often over-expose by 1-2 stops.

You may want to stretch your budget a little higher into the $300-$400 range, but then again I'm not up to speed on what is out there. Preferably I would look for a camera with full manual control, but something with good exposure compensation may work fine if your lighting is constant enough...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited August 26, 2012
    Here is an example, with EXIF, of an image I shot with the Konica Minolta Dimage A2, my personal camera, 4 - Calumet monolights, on a custom made 4' x 8' product table (transparent top) with a white sweep under, and using a light tent and a few other light modifiers:

i-QFtsMWJ.jpg

The following is an image grab from a PDF document, used for product marketing. It has been neutered in order to comply with a non-disclosure agreement. The products were shot individually with a similar setup to above, but these would have used the company's Sony DSC-F828 camera.

i-RSvCPvf-XL.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    I would highly recommend a macro lens.