Options

Meet Lauren and Toni

JonnyDoesPhotosJonnyDoesPhotos Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 26, 2012 in People
This is Lauren we were at Lulus in Watertown tn on a Sat night. Lulus is very fun place to hang out on Sat night, they have music and the people are wonderful. CC welcome. Both of the images are soft, I printed Lauren at 5x7 and it looked good. org was 20MP and reducing to 800px wide really shows the softness.

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2012
    out of focus. delete.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2012
    Tony
    This is Tony with her son.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2012
    FWIW, your images will look better here is you link the images instead of attaching them. When you attach, the maximum filesize is ridiculously small, and you get a ton a softness.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2012
    Ignore the haters, the purpose of this forum, seems to get lost on some. Sometimes linking/attaching changes the images. Many members have run into this in the past.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2012
    I recommend you host your photos someplace online then hotlink to them in your thread. Uploading is a pain and unless the original is low resolution, it will get compressed and look terrible.

I suspect the softness in the images posted could be due to compression issue. The comp bothers me on the first. I'm guessing you tried to follow the rule of 3rds by setting her off to the left side, but it doesn't work here. First, our brains read left to right. Composing her on the right side of the frame would work better. It would also fit the image better since she facing towards the left side of the photo. I suspect you did this because the BG on to the left was distracting. A better option would have been to get in tight in portrait orientation.

Second one is a nice snap shot.

You mention this being a fun place with music and other stuff but your images don't show that. I would suggest trying to capture more candid shots of the fun rather than portraits. Just a suggestion.

BTW, please don't be discouraged by the critiques you've received. We've all been through it and everyone means well by it. Dgrin is not like most other photo forums on the net, where it's a total circle jerk. This isn't a place to post a shot so you can get a bunch of "Nice Shot" comments and in turn, be indebted to the posters to do the same with their shots. We have a community here that is pretty passionate about the art of photography and helping others to improve their craft. Always accept the feedback you get as such. You'll get the nice shot comments when they are deserved. You'll also get a lot of great constructive feedback when they don't. Adapt the things you learn here to fit your creative style.

Thanks for sharing and please, please, share more of your work.

- Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2012
    Thanks for all the comments. The photo of Lauren was a snapshot and a weird composition and was hard to crop. I think the women in the photos are beautiful and especially Lauren is very photogenic. The room is very dark and it is hard to focus. I work at not using a flash in Lulus as a courtesy to the others, so my lighting is poor at best. I will post some pics of the room and band so you can get a sense of Lulus atmosphere.

40 year shooter, still learning. Last 10 years with digital.

Took this through the front window.