My first Soccer with 5D3

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 27, 2012 in Sports
All shot with my 70-200/2.8II. I have a good amount of experience shooting youth soccer with my old 7D (and 1D2N, and 40D), and I would say the AF and IQ at 100% view are significantly improved with the 5D3. AF only missed due to user error. The reduced reach was a liability at times, but I still got some great keepers. The high IQ and resolution allows for some heavy cropping. I think I'll hold off on the teleconverter for another few games and see how it goes. This is the U11 level. Thanks for looking.

soccer1s.jpg
bigger

soccer2s.jpg
bigger

soccer3s.jpg
bigger

soccer4s.jpg
bigger

soccer5s.jpg
bigger

soccer6s.jpg
bigger
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    VERY nicely done. If this is more artistic than journalistic, I might open the shadows a bit on some of these, but other than that, they are all excellent.
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Very nice indeed! Maybe open the shadows, but I like the contrasts as well.

I mostly shoot sports with my 1D4 bodies, but occasionally use my 5D2 and like the IQ better with the latter. I hate the AF limitations on the 5D2, but there is an indescribable quality to the images--richer textures, smoother gradients, something... From your shots it looks like the 5D3 retains all of these qualities. I have a 1Dx on order, but keep thinking that maybe I'll just go to a 5D3 and save myself a bit of cash. I don't often need 12 FPS burst, but I sure could use an upgrade to the clunky AF system on the 5D2.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Thanks guys. I may toy with the shadows if I make a print or if another parent wants one. Gonna wait to see if I get any better shots throughout the season. In DPP these are all already at contrast -1 and the bottom two are also at shadow +1. To do any more than that I would do it locally with a layer mask in PS. It was a very bright sunny day.

Yeah the 5D3 is expensive but next to the 1DX it is a great value. Fortunately I was able to sell my 5D2 and 7D (which had paid for themselves) and pitch in $500 to get it. So worth it.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.