Options

Hi All - New to this Forum

postvenkipostvenki Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited November 17, 2005 in Cameras
Hi

Need suggestion

Planning to buy EOS Digital Rebel XT SLR Camera with 18-55 mm Lens - Silver

Which is gud EOS Digital Rebel XT SLR Camera with 18-55 mm Lens - Silver or Nikon d70

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

thanks
Venki

Comments

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Welcome to DGRIN Venki... And being the first to welcome you, I'll point you in the direction of Nikon. thumb.gif

But seriously... This is a matter of perference, as is your vehicle. And, you'll hear all sides, but this choice will be up to you and your shooting preferences. I hope you get some good feedback here to help you with your decision.

Let me say that I prefer Nikon because I can buy (if I can find) older lenses, that are very high quality, they will attach to my digital body and are still very useful. Nikon/Nikkor has always built quality equiptment (IMPO) and will continue for some time to come.

BTW, please share your film/photo experience so we can point you in the right direction. Also, what do you shoot? Landscapes? Portraits? Sports? ...or is this just general shooting?
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Welcome to DGRIN Venki... And being the first to welcome you, I'll point you in the direction of Nikon. thumb.gif

But seriously... This is a matter of perference, as is your vehicle. And, you'll hear all sides, but this choice will be up to you and your shooting preferences. I hope you get some good feedback here to help you with your decision.

Let me say that I prefer Nikon because I can buy (if I can find) older lenses, that are very high quality, they will attach to my digital body and are still very useful. Nikon/Nikkor has always built quality equiptment (IMPO) and will continue for some time to come.

BTW, please share your film/photo experience so we can point you in the right direction. Also, what do you shoot? Landscapes? Portraits? Sports? ...or is this just general shooting?
    Being the second, I'll sway you to the light side of the force!

... though, as much as I love my canons, the D70 is a much nicer consumer camera than the XT. The D70 feels solid as a rock.

Downsides, vertical grips are awkward and after-market for Nikon, but the old-glass note by seymour makes a good point.

As a counter-point, there's a lot more Canon gear available used, and in very good shape, and thus being more competition for sales, you can get some wicked deals used.

The choice is YOURS and yours alone. Hold both, shoot both.

If you're working in RAW with good quality glass, both cameras will produce astounding photos.

Furthermore, ask yourself if you really need the 8MP vs 6MP (I've got a 10D (6mp) and I've yet to go beyond my ability to print.)

If I had a job that required such, I'd rent a 5D.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    postvenkipostvenki Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2005
    Thnks for ur reply
    Guys,
    I just started photography as my hobby,
    but i wanted to some gud pics.
    so want to start with the best ones :)