ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
edited November 18, 2005 in People
This lens was worth every meal I have to skip to afford it! :D

Enjoy!
CRW_9505.jpg
David DeJong
Sound Designer

Thanks for looking!

[PP: Processed w/ Rawshooter, Photoshop : Healing tool to remove blemishes, Curves layer to push contrast a little more (JPEG flattened the image for some reason.) No other layer edits.]
- Scott
http://framebyframe.ca
[Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
[Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
[Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
[Tripod]
Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
[Head] 484RC2, 200RC2

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    I like the composition, but on my monitor he looks really overexposed. If you shot raw, maybe you can tone it back?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 16, 2005
    When I read the pixels, I find the central forehead is completely blown out. Other than that area, the rest of the face seems to be adequately exposed. I rather like the image on my monitor. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Do you have the out-of-the-camera jpeg? It's easy to lose a lot in B&W conversions. What drove the choice to convert to B&W?
    If not now, when?
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Do you have the out-of-the-camera jpeg? It's easy to lose a lot in B&W conversions. What drove the choice to convert to B&W?
    Theatre headshots are B&W, by standard. Film/TV headshots are in colour/B&W.

I'll post a colour one later today once I export one from my laptop which is charging right now.
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited November 17, 2005
    JimM wrote:
    I like the composition, but on my monitor he looks really overexposed. If you shot raw, maybe you can tone it back?
    I pushed the exposure another half stop or so after I exported to JPEG, because it looked a bit dull.

Looks fine on my laptop and desktop LCD... but then again, neither are calibrated.

Anyone here have a calibrated monitor?
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited November 17, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    When I read the pixels, I find the central forehead is completely blown out. Other than that area, the rest of the face seems to be adequately exposed. I rather like the image on my monitor. ne_nau.gif
    Glad ya like it! thumb.gif Thankya.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Nice Scott! :D
    I love the bokeh on that 85. I need to get one for meself. Can we see the EXIF?
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    I do...and it is a tad over exposed. Depends on your taste...it's a bit high key but I didn't find it objectionable.

BTW -- You _must_ get your monitors calibrated. It's madness to do photo work on a monitor that is not calibrated.

Lee
  • hollychollyc Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    I do...and it is a tad over exposed. Depends on your taste...it's a bit high key but I didn't find it objectionable.

BTW -- You _must_ get your monitors calibrated. It's madness to do photo work on a monitor that is not calibrated.

Lee
    Recommendation for the best calibration software/hardware? I'm interested in calibrating.

Thanks.
    ~H
    edited November 17, 2005
    leebase wrote:

Lee
    Yeah, I know. Monitor calibration is like 200$ for the unit. I'm trying to find a photographer in TO who might lend me one.

It does look a tad overexposed on my desktop, now that I look at it.

It was kinda what I was going for though. I like high-key headshots, and apparently so do my clients.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited November 17, 2005
    HeldDown wrote:
    Nice Scott! :D
    I love the bokeh on that 85. I need to get one for meself. Can we see the EXIF?
    I seem to remember, 1/90, f/1.8, -0.5 flash exp, and 400ISO? Maybe 200ISO
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    I seem to remember, 1/90, f/1.8, -0.5 flash exp, and 400ISO? Maybe 200ISO
    I like the lighting and the conversion. Looks good on my monitor. The limited DOF works very well. Looks like a very nice portrait lens.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited November 17, 2005
    I pushed the exposure another half stop or so after I exported to JPEG, because it looked a bit dull.

Looks fine on my laptop and desktop LCD... but then again, neither are calibrated.

My 23" Cinema display is calibrated with a ColorVision Spyder2Pro.

I can, also, read the individual pixel data with The Digital Color Meter ( a little program) on my MAC - so calibrated monitor or not, the forehead still reads 255,255,255 - like I said, blown. Perhaps when pushed in post processing.

But I do like the high key effect, and don't find the blown area that offputting myself. ne_nau.gif

edited November 18, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    My 23" Cinema display is calibrated with a ColorVision Spyder2Pro.

I can, also, read the individual pixel data with The Digital Color Meter ( a little program) on my MAC - so calibrated monitor or not, the forehead still reads 255,255,255 - like I said, blown. Perhaps when pushed in post processing.

But I do like the high key effect, and don't find the blown area that offputting myself. ne_nau.gif
    Spyder2 Pro = good? I've got both LCD's and CRT's to do, so I'm kinda looking for a calibration tool to use for them.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited November 18, 2005
    hollyc wrote:
    Recommendation for the best calibration software/hardware? I'm interested in calibrating./QUOTE]

I reccomend the GretagMacBeth Eye One.

Lee
    edited November 18, 2005
    Yeah, I know. Monitor calibration is like 200$ for the unit. I'm trying to find a photographer in TO who might lend me one.

It does look a tad overexposed on my desktop, now that I look at it.

It was kinda what I was going for though. I like high-key headshots, and apparently so do my clients.
    Yep....$200 well spent. But still, $200 nonetheless. I keep wanting to make a cottage industry out of calibrating people's monitors in my local area....but so far haven't figured out how to get the word out.

Lee
    edited November 18, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    hollyc wrote:
    Recommendation for the best calibration software/hardware? I'm interested in calibrating./QUOTE]

I reccomend the GretagMacBeth Eye One.

Lee
    Which one are you using? When I froogle GretagMacBeth Eye One I get this page which shows prices from $100 to $1500.

I have been satisfied with the Spyder2Pro that is supported by Colorvision/Pantone. It works well on LCDs and CRTs.