How to save 25 cents.

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited August 30, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Alternate title(s): Who says you can't photograph kids?

SDIM0928-XL.jpg

SDIM0927-XL.jpg

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    I'm going to put on the hat of my recent instructor... The problem with the shot is that it's of the kid's back (no puns please!). Slightly to the right might have shown more of his face once the dude in the second shot with the red t-shirt moved as well. Ah well.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I'm going to put on the hat of my recent instructor... The problem with the shot is that it's of the kid's back (no puns please!). Slightly to the right might have shown more of his face once the dude in the second shot with the red t-shirt moved as well. Ah well.

I guess the only thing to add is that these images are actually reversed-- pic #2 happened before pic #1. I realized that #2 was missing the "goat feed 25c" picture, but showed more clearly what the (human kid) was doing more clearly.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    I don't think the "Goat Feed .25" is actually important to the shot (title aside) as there is no sense that the kid is interested in saving the money. Also, red t-shirts distract.

I like the second with the kid (not human) actually reaching for the straw. Perhaps cropping tighter would help bring that out.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »

If the boy is a stranger, that's the angle I'd take, too...not showing the
    face. I make exceptions, but generally avoid faces of kids I'm not
    related to.

I do agree about waiting until the other people in the scene move.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited August 28, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    If the boy is a stranger, that's the angle I'd take, too...not showing the
    face. I make exceptions, but generally avoid faces of kids I'm not
    related to.

I do agree about waiting until the other people in the scene move.

The boy is a stranger. Having said that, the angle was mostly based on physical constraints. Also keep in mind that kids (both human and goat) move fast. Me, not so much. Sometimes takes me a while to remember that I have a camera in my hand. mwink.gif

I just thought that it was cute that the kid wanted to feed the goats, but didn't have 25 cents, so he improvised.
    edited August 30, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »
    I don't think the "Goat Feed .25" is actually important to the shot (title aside) as there is no sense that the kid is interested in saving the money. Also, red t-shirts distract.

I like the second with the kid (not human) actually reaching for the straw. Perhaps cropping tighter would help bring that out.

Thinking about the title, if I had a second go-round, I'd call it "When you don't have a quarter." Because really that's what the shot is about: a kid interacting with another kid despite a physical constraint (lack of pocket change.)