Suggestion for a backup camera

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited August 29, 2012 in Cameras
I am looking for a backup camera and I'm looking suggestions. I photograph high school sports for our local paper using a Canon 7D and Canon 70-200mm f2.8L. I have been looking at purchasing another 7D or getting a used 1D Mark III. Any suggestions?

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    7D would make the most sense as you could switch between the two without thinking. But 1D3 would be more fun, just for the change of pace and the swagger that comes with a 1-series.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    7D would make the most sense as you could switch between the two without thinking. But 1D3 would be more fun, just for the change of pace and the swagger that comes with a 1-series.

I might lose some reach with the 1D as it is a full frame and in photographing sports I need all that I can get.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    If you find yourself fully satisfied with the frame rate, focus tracking capability, and overall responsiveness of the 7D, then I see no reason to get a 1D mk3.

Even then, who can say for certain that a 1D mk3 would vastly improve your focus tracking ability compared to a 7D? (Considering user skill and the real world a little bit, not just laboratory-tested camera specs...)

Honestly I'd go with the 7D. Unless you are going to do some extensive testing before buying, and you decide to make the 1D mk3 your new MAIN camera; ...it's just not worth it to lug such a beast around as a backup camera, especially considering how different the functions will be...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited August 28, 2012
    photodad1 wrote: »
    I might lose some reach with the 1D as it is a full frame and in photographing sports I need all that I can get.

A Canon 1D MKIII is a crop 1.3x/APS-H sensor. It does require the use of EF series lenses, EF-S lenses will not fit, but it is a crop sensor between the Canon crop 1.6x/APS-C and FF.

In other words, you don't give up all of the "apparent" teleconverter length of your 7D. It's more like using a FF body with a 1.3x teleconverter attached, if such a thing existed, and very close to the field of view of a FF body with a 1.4x teleconverter, without the 1 stop penalty of a teleconverter.

The Canon 1D MKIV is the last of this breed and, starting with the 1D X, it does look like all 1D series Canon cameras in the future will be FF.

Just for completeness, the Canon 1Ds series bodies "are" FF sensors.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    I agree with Matt, and Ziggy beat me to it that the 1DIII is APS-H, 1.3x crop. The only things that the 1DIII offers over the 7D are 10fps, and the integrated vertical grip. I had a 1D2N and a 7D and I would say the AF of the 7D was close enough if not the same. The one thing I really loved about the 7D that the 1D did not have was the automatic AF point switching when you hold the camera vertically or horizontally.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Thanks everyone. Once I earn enough cash, I am going to buy a
    7D through the Canon Loyalty Program.