A new project

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited September 1, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I recently completed a Documentary Photography short course at RMIT in Melbourne.

So without getting into the whole story, the subject I chose for the photoessay was small business owners on a street close to where I live. The plan was to show the owner, something about their shops and provide visual clues how they relate to what they've created. I've shot in seven businesses so far and have many more to do. (I've been encouraged to continue past the course).

Here are four from one shop.

1)
DSC1366-XL.jpg

2)
DSC1384-XL.jpg

3)
DSC1363-XL.jpg

4)
DSC1398-XL.jpg

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    #1,2, &3 I feel like I'm on the exact wrong side of the room. ne_nau.gif. Have to think about it for a bit.

#4 is quite nice.

EDIT: maybe not. They definitely look a lot better to my eye viewed full sized. Lots of detail to be explored.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    I can't comment on the class project aspect, but the man moving the
    display with his foot is the photo that I find to be the interesting one
    in this group.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    I feel like I just took a short cut through the backdoor of a dress shop and out the front.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    I love the motion in #3.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    There are fifteen to twenty businesses that I'll hopefully get through over a four to five block range in the next many months. The biggie will be Elgin Street Metal. They are the old family and own a significant portion of their block. I'm building information on them in conversations with others. By all accounts they seem to be great folks but cautious.

How to be a friend to someone you've never met? Become their friend's friend...

To take a picture.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    There are fifteen to twenty businesses that I'll hopefully get through over a four to five block range in the next many months. The biggie will be Elgin Street Metal. They are the old family and own a significant portion of their block. I'm building information on them in conversations with others. By all accounts they seem to be great folks but cautious.

How to be a friend to someone you've never met? Become their friend's friend...

To take a picture.

Don't think of them as strangers , just friends you haven't met.
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    I love the last one. She tells the story! I could have guessed your theme/assignment from that one photo without your explanation. I would try to remove the glare on her glasses though, slightly detracting. I love this kind of portraiture in their natural environment and looking forward to seeing more. thumb.gif