"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Why am I now thinking of Walmart...? rolleyes1.gif
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    I have to say I have NO idea why either image would remind you of WalMart. The mother is a Harvard University employee who was talking to someone in one of the University buildings; the second woman is a former Harvard employee who I photographed and then had lunch with, and the last thing she asked me to photograph was her tattoo, which is meant to show the Oxford comma. So there it is.

Tattoos are no longer confined to any social or ethnic group, and the old stereotypes no longer hold.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

• SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    I was just being silly since I personally can't stand when my own bra straps show and upon seeing them immediately think of the stereotyped "People of Walmart". I meant no offense whatsoever. I'm sure they are quite lovely people and obviously it was a very casual time that you captured nicely.
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I have to say I have NO idea why either image would remind you of WalMart. The mother is a Harvard University employee who was talking to someone in one of the University buildings; the second woman is a former Harvard employee who I photographed and then had lunch with, and the last thing she asked me to photograph was her tattoo, which is meant to show the Oxford comma. So there it is.

Tattoos are no longer confined to any social or ethnic group, and the old stereotypes no longer hold.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
    edited August 30, 2012
    NO offense taken - I really had no clue what the comment meant, as you can see by my thinking that it was about the tattoo. Oddly enough, I recently read an observation somewhere about the fact that having bra straps showing is, for many, now a fashion statement of some sort, where it used to be something women avoided at practically all costs. I certainly remember when it was the latter, and will say I find the current fashion a titch 'odd.' ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    NO offense taken - I really had no clue what the comment meant, as you can see by my thinking that it was about the tattoo. Oddly enough, I recently read an observation somewhere about the fact that having bra straps showing is, for many, now a fashion statement of some sort, where it used to be something women avoided at practically all costs. I certainly remember when it was the latter, and will say I find the current fashion a titch 'odd.' ;-)

In reference to your comment about bra straps. Check this out, I believe the year is 1969.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11311958@N06/3778437353/
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Thanks for the explanation of the oxford comma. I was totally baffled-- thought it had some esoteric meaning. Perhaps it is a gang sign for English majors. :D
    edited August 30, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    In reference to your comment about bra straps. Check this out, I believe the year is 1969.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11311958@N06/3778437353/

I'd put money on that being part of the neck of the dress, rather than on its being a bra strap. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Like the way the child is reaching around the mother to access the chips. So focused on the task.

And, I, learned, about, the, Oxford, comma, and.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Oh, #2...that is excellence. Well spotted.