so I buy a Camera

PHOTOMAYBEPHOTOMAYBE Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited August 30, 2012 in Cameras
I need to adust the lens to the camera for to it be accrate????

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    Not generally. As with anything, the answer is really, "It depends". If you just got yourself an f/1.2 lens you might find you need to tweak the AF. With an f/4 lens, not so much unless (IMO) you got pretty unlucky with the calibration of the lens you bought (in which case, try exchanging it before messing with AF adjust). Each lens and body are built to really tight tolerances, but they are tolerances and thus have some variation. Shooting f/1.2 or even 1.8 or 2.8 will give you some very shallow depth of focus (range plus or minus of where your are focused that will also be in focus). The micro-adjust is there to help the user dial things in if you are in the area where your focus isn't quite right. The smaller your aperture (larger f-stop), the less this will be of concern for you.

From the Nikon D700 manual: "AF Tuning is not recommended in most situations and may interfere with normal use; use only when required"

Hope that helps.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    PHOTOMAYBE wrote: »
    I need to adust the lens to the camera for to it be accrate????

Not always necessary, and not always possible. Fine tuning autofocus is, i think, only available on pro and 'semi pro' camera bodies.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • PHOTOMAYBEPHOTOMAYBE Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Not generally. As with anything, the answer is really, "It depends". If you just got yourself an f/1.2 lens you might find you need to tweak the AF. With an f/4 lens, not so much unless (IMO) you got pretty unlucky with the calibration of the lens you bought (in which case, try exchanging it before messing with AF adjust). Each lens and body are built to really tight tolerances, but they are tolerances and thus have some variation. Shooting f/1.2 or even 1.8 or 2.8 will give you some very shallow depth of focus (range plus or minus of where your are focused that will also be in focus). The micro-adjust is there to help the user dial things in if you are in the area where your focus isn't quite right. The smaller your aperture (larger f-stop), the less this will be of concern for you.

From the Nikon D700 manual: "AF Tuning is not recommended in most situations and may interfere with normal use; use only when required"

Hope that helps.
    Thanks a bunch from a felow North Carolinian
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    PHOTOMAYBE wrote: »
    Thanks a bunch from a felow North Carolinian

Where in NC are you? We just moved to GSO about a year ago. Wonderful city.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • PHOTOMAYBEPHOTOMAYBE Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Where in NC are you? We just moved to GSO about a year ago. Wonderful city.
    For now I live on the coast.I might be moving towards Chapel Hill in the new year.Yes GSO is a fine place ,lots of things to do and see.
    Thanks again for the help.