Options

More Sue Bryce today: posing

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 1, 2012 in People
I'm SO GLAD I'm home this week so can watch these workshops - invaluable and not "only" applicable to the glamour genre - totally useable for other styles as well.

http://www.creativelive.com/live?utm_source=Sue+Bryce&utm_campaign=e732cb07ec-SUE_Aug28&utm_medium=email

Comments

• Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Thanks Diva, I'm on it. Notice how she is using spot metering and hitting the eyes first, then dropping the camera to encompass the chest area?
  • Options
    glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Thanks for posting the link. I enjoyed watching the this.

I did see her focus and drop the camera but wasn't sure what she was focusing on but that makes complete sense.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    To me that's the proper way to focus lol. Hit the eyes, hold the shutter button half way down, to hold that focus spot (the eyes), and drop the camera, that keeps the eyes in focus, as you move to include the body. You just need to make sure no movement towards or away from the eyes. If you lose that focus, hit them again and repeat. I'm seeing Sue do this 3 or 4 times before clicking to take the shot. To make sure she has the eyes.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    I had to duck out after the flow-posing marathon, but I"ll try to catch the re-watch later. Frankly, this series of workshops has answered ALL the questions I've ever had about posing. I find the way she thinks and directs similar to what I (try to!) do, but the piece I've been lacking is the TECHNICAL basis to build those poses; I've invented a few things of my own (don't we all?) but I have really needed a clear, universal language to use to get the things I wanted to see. That 1hr session watching her direct her non-model model was absolutely what I've been wanting to learn since forever. I won't use it in exactly the same way, but it is INVALUABLE for what I do - the theory is universal even if her particular style isn't.

The hair and MU was interesting (and also completely validated my long-held belief that for certain photographic styles at least 60% of the look is achieved through the styling), but the posing workshop is like a dream come true for me - just what I've wanted to learn in that it's not just "what", but "HOW". I'm just majorly bummed that I missed the casting call for students/volunteers for this set of sessions - I'd have jumped ALL OVER THAT. As a curvy 40-something, I'd have loved to see what they could do with me!!!
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    To me that's the proper way to focus lol. Hit the eyes, hold the shutter button half way down, to hold that focus spot (the eyes), and drop the camera, that keeps the eyes in focus, as you move to include the body. You just need to make sure no movement towards or away from the eyes. If you lose that focus, hit them again and repeat. I'm seeing Sue do this 3 or 4 times before clicking to take the shot. To make sure she has the eyes.

Wonder why you just wouldn't move the focus point within the viewfinder? Isn't that why they are there? She's shooting Canon so I don't know how many focus points she has. Nikon's upper end has 51.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    Glenn, I think it might just be what you're used to. She's shooting a 5d3 so has plenty of points (I think it's 45?), but maybe she's just built up the focus-recompose technique and it works for her so she sticks with it. For me, I scroll through my 7d's 19 points - I shoot even more shallow than she does a lot of the time (and on longer focal lengths) so I don't trust myself to move the camera. Have lost a lot of shots that way..... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    Haha, ditto Diva, I call those too shallow DOF's, "the shots that could have been something" shots lol. I lean too heavy to lower fstops myself. I have to consciously think, open up the DOF. I really try to force Bokeh behind the subject many times, thus the shallow DOF. I don't always have the distance behind to work with, to get some nice Bokeh. That's one thing that has always bugged me about light meters, they want you to use use "this" fstop, and I'm like,"No", I want this fstop, for this effect lol, so what ISO can I get away with. And end up chimping lol. That's why I appreciate great DOF control so much.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
    Thanks for the input and makes total sense. You get use to doing something and it works so why change it :) I just got rid of an ottoman like the one she was using. I'll now be on the lookout for another one. I liked the way she used it.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
    Ikea/Target/Walmart - ottomans are everywhere right now. Ditto the cubes - I've seen loads of them with the back-to-school dorm room stuff.

I really want to make some of those v-flats, but have to figure out how to store them in my small space... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2012
    Watched Sue today. She does have a way with people. Her last hour was really something to watch today.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    For those that missed it, there's a rewatch this weekend! CHeck it out.

I knew I'd miss yesterday, but I've found this entire series SO helpful, that I bought it - I'll be watching (and rewatching) at leisure.

I really can't overstate HOW INVALUABLE this workshop has been for me. I don't shoot this same style, but Sue's technique - and it IS a technique - imo easily straddles genres, and what it has given me is specific language and hands-on ideas for how to direct clients into the poses I want to see. My performers have HUGE personalities, but no clue how to *use* them for the camera, and it's my job to help them do just that - these sessions have been everything I've ever wanted to learn in one 3-day, $100 workshop. Just incredible!!!
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    Thanks Diva, I was really disappointed I had missed Fridays session. This helped me with hand placement, always a biggie it seems, head, chin and shoulder alignment, and some boudoir poses the most. Here's the link for the replays.
    http://www.creativelive.com/courses/shoot-with-sue-bryce
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    Diva, Since you missed yesterday's sessions watch the Skype Call with Jill Conley from yesterday. It will bring tears to your eyes. I can't describe how generous Sue is. It even brought tears to my eyes. If you follow her on FB there is even a thread on what she did for this one girl. Simple amazing! I to am purchasing the series as it went back on sale through the weekend. As you, It's not my style but there is so much information that I saw I can use for the different applications with in my style.