Street Photography Dump (CC Greatly Appreciated)(Picture HEAVY)

ForceGhostForceGhost Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited September 5, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Hey guys! I'm kinda new here but i've been out shooting a lot of "Street" photography lately and would really appreciate some constructive critique on some of the shots :).

If this is in the wrong section i'm very sorry :).

Anyways, here are the shots.

7881291928_80bed5e432_c.jpg
IMG_1525 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7881289242_5a57663428_c.jpg
IMG_1460 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7881287968_809961b7d2_c.jpg
IMG_1468 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7873373850_5e7cc19d45_c.jpg
IMG_1160 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7873375522_1072c852d4_c.jpg
IMG_1283 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7881274668_b694fed6c8_c.jpg
IMG_1747 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7881275584_04f8aea96f_c.jpg
IMG_1745 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7881276784_e88ea8586d_c.jpg
IMG_1720 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7881277938_c43b428fb0_c.jpg
IMG_1444 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7881279128_369770ed4b_c.jpg
IMG_1722 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7881282410_2a5299a564_c.jpg
IMG_1574 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7881283418_0567e8538d_c.jpg
IMG_1662 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

7881284412_25b7e0ff01_c.jpg
IMG_1474 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

Sorry for the amount of pictures, Have numbered them for easy CC :)
Kind Regards,
Jordon.
My website

Comments

• Chris02Chris02 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    No expert and never taken shots of strangers (one day when i get my confidence up) but I like no 3.

One chap who does street really well - http://www.85mm.ch/index.html
    LR 4.1 Nik Silver efex 2
    D90 + D50 Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
    Nikon 55-300 mm f4.5-5.6G ED DX AF-S VR
    Landscapes, Sport and Buildings are my bag.
    Chris White Cheltenham England
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    To be brutally honest, I really don't find the subjects in your shots very compelling. Take 11 for example..it's a guy walking on the street. There is no interplay with the person and background, no ironic juxtapositions, nothing of interest about the guy himself, no humor, no emotion, etc. As an excercise...you tell me what you found interesting about shot 11.

Btw welcome to the forum and please don't let my criticism discourage you..we are all learning! Also there is "documentary" section that is bit more geared towards street photography fyi.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    I'm in the same camp.... That said:

1. Try to not do a dump of so many images in a single thread. That way focus can stay on the image presented instead of addressing multiple images in the same thread. Single image = Single thread unless the multiple images are connected in some distinct way.

2. Image #1 actually has a bit of juxtaposition in it if you look close. There's an able bodied cyclist in the foreground with what I'd call an 'odd' look, and just over his shoulder is a poster of a para-cyclist. So there's actually some content there. But you chopped off the wheels.

3. Speaking of chopping, most everyone's legs are, uh.... shortened. Any particular reason for this?

4. Image #4 is somewhat interesting to me if you ditch the two guys on the right and go with a square crop to highlight the lady and her pointing finger/arm shadow. Not sure what all is there, but a crop would draw you more to her and the shadow.

Again, not trying to be harsh and I'm certainly no expert. But this is what I see.

And welcome!

• Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Welcome, ForceGhost. Keep working at street, and eventually you'll get some compelling images. These aren't in that category for me personally.
  • ForceGhostForceGhost Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Cheers for the feedback guys! I'm not sure why i keep chopping peoples feet off, i think it is becoming a very bad habbit. I'll be trying to find more interesting places to head out to to find some more "Intresting" people. Cheers for the feedback guys!

Edit: Most of these pictures were taken from a car due to my lack of confidence taking pictures from the street, Thus why the poor composition. The only ones taken on the street are 10,8,7,6.

Thanks again :)
    Kind Regards,
    Jordon.
    My website
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    I'm guessing you're in Bedfordshire or close there about. There are a couple of others on the forum that frequently shoot from their cars. It shouldn't matter if the shot works. So pay attention to composition and content. The problem with shooting from the car is that you're pretty stuck in terms of seeing something and being able to move into a better position to get what you're hoping for. It might be a matter of a foot or two left or right. Or forward. None of which are conducive to good driving etiquette. headscratch.gif

Instead of worrying about what's street or taking pictures of strangers, give us a candid or environmental shot of someone you've had a conversation with. Despite the car, you are clearly wanting to capture something of your community and that's a good thing. Keep it up and give us a couple in the next go.
    edited August 30, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're in Bedfordshire or close there about. There are a couple of others on the forum that frequently shoot from their cars. It shouldn't matter if the shot works. So pay attention to composition and content. The problem with shooting from the car is that you're pretty stuck in terms of seeing something and being able to move into a better position to get what you're hoping for. It might be a matter of a foot or two left or right. Or forward. None of which are conducive to good driving etiquette. headscratch.gif

Instead of worrying about what's street or taking pictures of strangers, give us a candid or environmental shot of someone you've had a conversation with. Despite the car, you are clearly wanting to capture something of your community and that's a good thing. Keep it up and give us a couple in the next go.

Bournemouth dude!, you were quite far off! :P
    Kind Regards,
    Jordon.
    My website
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Hey, I went by the URL for the Estate Agents in one of your shots. I'm a simple Australian. If you're coastal, I'd love to see some of those lovely beaches.
    edited August 30, 2012
    Hey, I went by the URL for the Estate Agents in one of your shots. I'm a simple Australian. If you're coastal, I'd love to see some of those lovely beaches.

Sure thing! I'm heading out to take some evening shots in the local harbour, will PM you the link to the thread when it is posted if you like!
    Kind Regards,
    Jordon.
    My website
    edited August 30, 2012
    You'll have to pardon a potentially unpopular opinion, but I would consider it more ethically dubious to be taking pictures from a vehicle than to walk directly up to their face and snap the picture.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    You'll have to pardon a potentially unpopular opinion, but I would consider it more ethically dubious to be taking pictures from a vehicle than to walk directly up to their face and snap the picture.

The later is what the paparazzi do. Bruce Gilden too. And yet, neither is particularly ethical, IMHO.

Jay Maisel suggests standing in shadow so that you're less visible when doing street work. How is that "more ethical" than taking pictures from your car?

I do believe that you will get a lot more opportunities if you're out on the street and can work a scene, but ethics, imo, has more to do with the what and why of shooting than the how.
    edited August 30, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    The later is what the paparazzi do. Bruce Gilden too. And yet, neither is particularly ethical, IMHO.

Jay Maisel suggests standing in shadow so that you're less visible when doing street work. How is that "more ethical" than taking pictures from your car?

I do believe that you will get a lot more opportunities if you're out on the street and can work a scene, but ethics, imo, has more to do with the what and why of shooting than the how.

Well, I'll agree with that I guess, and I idolize Jay Maisel, personally, and I don't think standing in low light is particularly unethical. I wasn't suggesting he run up to them and shoot in their face, I was merely trying to get the point across that shooting from a car isn't really a reliable method of making decent images/practicing street photography.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Well, I'll agree with that I guess, and I idolize Jay Maisel, personally, and I don't think standing in low light is particularly unethical. I wasn't suggesting he run up to them and shoot in their face, I was merely trying to get the point across that shooting from a car isn't really a reliable method of making decent images/practicing street photography.

Yep yep. Not reliable, not a preferred method. Unethical? Well, that's another kettle of fish altogether.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012

I'm going to both agree and disagree with our mod.
    First, welcome to the forum - the more the merrier.
    Next, I agree that you should limit your offerings to a couple images at a time, rather than 'dumping.'
    Of those you dumped, numbers one and two both have something worthwhile in them, but, as Michaswiss suggested, you need to pay more attention to framing. Number one would be best as a vertical, or a square, getting ride of all the wasted space to the right, but including the cyclists entire front wheel. The cyclist and the wheel would then much better play off the cyclist in the poster in the background, and you'd have something. Similarly, Number two should have been a vertical shot, homing in on the woman with the shadow...you should have given her all of us, top to bottom, rather than the pretty aimless waist crop.

As to the rest of them - not much there, other than the fact that you are out in the world shooting, which is good.

Where I disagree with Michaswiss is in the advice to chat up people and then shoot them. If what you are trying to do is street photography, as opposed to some sort of neighborhood documentary project, by engaging with the subjects you will completely change the nature of the photographs. No longer will we have the person engaged, or removed from, their environment; we will have subjects engaged with, and directed by, you. I would definitely avoid that if what you are trying for is traditional street shooting.

But in any case - keep shooting. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • studio12cstudio12c Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    My two cents. I agree with Quincy. Driving around in a car taking random pictures of people walking down the street is not very creative. Not only is it unethical it's dangerous. It's obvious no thought was given to the making of the photos. There are some folks out there that don't want their picture taken. As a parent I would be a little concerned about someone in a car taking photos of my daughter. Street photography in my view should tell a story. The subject does not necessarily have to know the photo was taken. In those types of situations I approach the subject introducing yourself, tell them about my project and showing them the photo. If they object to their picture being taken I delete the photo. If they like it, I asked for their contact information to send them a photo. I then ask them to sign a release so the photo can be used.
    edited September 5, 2012
    My two cents. I agree with Quincy. Driving around in a car taking random pictures of people walking down the street is not very creative. Not only is it unethical it's dangerous. It's obvious no thought was given to the making of the photos. There are some folks out there that don't want their picture taken. As a parent I would be a little concerned about someone in a car taking photos of my daughter. Street photography in my view should tell a story. The subject does not necessarily have to know the photo was taken. In those types of situations I approach the subject introducing yourself, tell them about my project and showing them the photo. If they object to their picture being taken I delete the photo. If they like it, I asked for their contact information to send them a photo. I then ask them to sign a release so the photo can be used.

Well, to be clear, I don't agree with shooting from the car, simply because it's probably not going to give you reliably good street images. Exceptions exist, obviously.

But, as for asking people permission, etc., et al., no, I do not agree with that. You are certainly more than welcome to, but I don't believe there is anything to be gained in 80% of cases by asking someone to take their picture. You lose the moment, typically, rather than open up a book of photographic value.