Options

Nude crucifix

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited September 8, 2012 in Go Figure
One of the shoot of today with F.C I wonder what you'all think of it.

fc-4-of-1-X2.jpg
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    What a great rood nude. thumb.gif

Don

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Love.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    crimsonwinecrimsonwine Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2012
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    I think your lighting of the subject is perfect and the floor works.
    Rags
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Great shot. Lighting is super and your artistic point of view is both clearly stated and nicely obscure. I wonder if it would look even better if it weren't cropped so tight and narrow?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2012
    Great shot. Lighting is super and your artistic point of view is both clearly stated and nicely obscure. I wonder if it would look even better if it weren't cropped so tight and narrow?

TXS, the narrow crop is due to the fact that the background (old door) was only that big. I could try to add to it with PS. I didn't do it as it might spoil the picture (I am not that good in PS), but will give it a try.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    You do just incredible concept work D3.

Serious, non-partisan question though. Do you do concepts with non-Christian symbols?? I don't ask because I'm offended but because I'm artistically fascinated with this series and would be curious about your vision with other religions.

This series has been just intriguing though I suggest you don't vacation in our bible belt anytime soon.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    You do just incredible concept work D3.

Serious, non-partisan question though. Do you do concepts with non-Christian symbols?? I don't ask because I'm offended but because I'm artistically fascinated with this series and would be curious about your vision with other religions.

This series has been just intriguing though I suggest you don't vacation in our bible belt anytime soon.

Actually the folks in our bible belt probably wouldn't appreciate your artistic creation, but they tend to pray for your soul and forgive rather than chop your head off and drag your body through the street.

Sam
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2012
    Sam is dead on correct.

It's a lot safer for you this way.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2012
    As you might be aware, I am working on a series "In the name of religion..." and that is covering all religions. Of course those close to home are the easiest. Especially now with all the scandals that are taking place in the Catholic Church. The series is a set of 20 pictures to be used for my thesis, I am doing my masters in photography/Art at the Art Academy. The topic was by pure luck, as we had to draw one out of a bucket. How we fill in the topic is our issue. So , I could have shown only nice pictures, people helping others etc..... But that would be difficult to keep the attention of the jury. So, I decided to chock, challenge and confront them. Maybe I fail totally, or in the other case it is just something new that might appeal. At the end it is an Art Academy. T is why I place the pictures here, you are my pre-jury.

I do have a series of shots on Muslims as well and I am working also on other. Again it is not about the religion itself but what people do with it .

I realize that some of these pictures might be confronting, and for some religions more then others. I did receive hate mail , but that will not stop me to think and be creative. Freedom of speech and thought.

In most cases I have kept it very decent , didn't burn crosses or wholly books (that would be a step to far). I have noticed that the Christian community is far more open in accepting that I shoot those things. Not that they approve it but tolerate it. Others, well that is another story.

I used to live in Virginia, Yorktown for about 8 years. So the bible belt is well known to me. Never had an issue.

I hope that answered your question.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2012
    Explains perfectly D3 even though you didn't owe me (or anyone else) an explanation.

Let me be clear again, I was in NO way offended or being critical. If anything, I envy your creativity.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    D3,

I have been following your series and really do admire your creative expression of the topic.

I am an American and as such believe one should have as much freedom as possible. To me that includes burning bibles or Korans.

The bible is a book containing words, ideas and philosophies. Meaningless to some and everything to others. While burning the bible may not be nice, the burning does not alter the ideas, and philosophies contained within. I / we can buy another one. The book is just that a book, paper and ink. The real value of the book can not be burned or destroyed.

To make it a life and death issue is fanatical ignorance.

Sam

PS: D3: Word of the day "Kevlar".
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2012
    John and Sam,

Thanks for your openness. Rest assured I did not felt offended. I like to provide answers, when questions are asked. It is always nice to read what you'll think...