Options

So

PHOTOMAYBEPHOTOMAYBE Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited September 1, 2012 in Cameras
I am thinking a 5DMII as a starter.What two zooms would yod you select.I think a 24-70mm 70- 200mm.I can get an extender I figure.I do not know whAT i AM GOING TO SHOOT except a bunch of horse shots at dresage to begin with as my friends daughter is into such.I did used to shoot a bunch of different things way back when for a living with film,but I except no return on this venture.I have a lot to learn.....

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited August 29, 2012
    I have the Canon 5D MKII and I really do love that model, but it's not designed for sports/action and the AF will not focus too quickly or accurately in low light. If you must use a 5D MKII rely mostly on the center AF point.

The 1D series cameras are much more suited for the task, with the 1D X the current Canon flagship. The 5D MKIII has a much improved AF section, using the same AF sensor as in the 1D X, and many folks are using the 5D MKIII for sports successfully.

The EF 70-200mm, f2.8L IS USM II would be a very nice choice for outdoor equestrian events, but indoors it may be a little slow. The EF 135mm, f2L USM is another choice with twice the light gather ability, although, obviously, it's a prime lens.

The EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM is a very nice standard zoom for the full-frame (FF) bodies, and you would probably find use for it for portraits of the rider and horse.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Why not start with something less expensive, like a 60D or 7D? The 7D would be superb for action shots, and the extra reach of a crop would be handy for dressage.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
    paddler4 wrote: »
    Why not start with something less expensive, like a 60D or 7D? The 7D would be superb for action shots, and the extra reach of a crop would be handy for dressage.
    In Canon can I switch lenses bought for the cropped cameras on the full framed lenses if I decide I want to go that route later?
    You make sense.....
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I have the Canon 5D MKII and I really do love that model, but it's not designed for sports/action and the AF will not focus too quickly or accurately in low light. If you must use a 5D MKII rely mostly on the center AF point.

The 1D series cameras are much more suited for the task, with the 1D X the current Canon flagship. The 5D MKIII has a much improved AF section, using the same AF sensor as in the 1D X, and many folks are using the 5D MKIII for sports successfully.

The EF 70-200mm, f2.8L IS USM II would be a very nice choice for outdoor equestrian events, but indoors it may be a little slow. The EF 135mm, f2L USM is another choice with twice the light gather ability, although, obviously, it's a prime lens.

The EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM is a very nice standard zoom for the full-frame (FF) bodies, and you would probably find use for it for portraits of the rider and horse.
    Thanks for the information on the focus ability of the 5DMKII.....I appreciate the help...
  • Options
    naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    PHOTOMAYBE wrote: »
    In Canon can I switch lenses bought for the cropped cameras on the full framed lenses if I decide I want to go that route later?
    You make sense.....

EF lenses mount on both cropped and full frame.
    EF-S lenses mount only on cropped cameras, not on full frame.

With that in mind, pick your lenses to match your needs.

All of the lenses that Ziggy mentions in post #2 are EF lenses and usable on both. All are well regarded.

I own two of those lenses myself (135mm f/2.0L and the 24-70 f/2.8L) and give them high marks.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    1D Mark IIN. And never look back.