Sticks Down

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited September 9, 2012 in Sports
When the coach is screaming "sticks down girls" from the sidelines, THIS is what she means:

i-Mq5Rx6x-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    I don't like this. The only thing in focus is the one girl's bottom. I don't think she will like it either.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Thank, Jack. I know what you mean, but then I ask myself "why do they wear those tight little stretchy kilts?" The kilts have gotten shorter and tighter over the years. It's gotten almost like volleyball.
    Taken as a single photo, I agree; this wouldn't be the one to hang on a wall. But as one in a gallery I think it works.
    John :
    edited August 30, 2012
    Good stuff as usual in there, which is why I was surprised to see this one from you. By the way you have originals and right-click enabled. These aren't for sale?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Maybe you like this one better. I don't think it's quite as dynamic, and the white player isn't quite as low, but the view isn't quite as "butt-prominent." :D

i-xBh4Hqx-XL.jpg

Jack, you probably didn't waste your time reading the description of the gallery, but in it I state that members of the school community are free to download and print, etc. Any commercial use is prohib, blah, blah, blah. What's funny is that I actually get Smugmug sales from the images. People just don't want to be bothered. I do get commercial and portrait business from the athletic community, but my sports shooting is just for fun. I'm kind of a mascot for the girls' hockey, soccer, lacrosse & volleyball teams.

Hey, Jack! I used to have a Leica IIIf too, and a IIIc.
    John :
    edited August 30, 2012
    I like that better, sharp, good conflict, but both faces are obscured. I think I like this one best for the light and the pose:

i-4h4XvWB-XL.jpg

The "perfect" sports action shot is an elusive thing. And yes I was guilty of not reading your disclaimer, woops!

I love shooting my IIIf every once in a while. Inherited it from my Grandad.
    -Jack

• wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Hey coach -- is this down enough?

IMG9401ab-XL.jpg

Maybe this is a little more what you meant...

IMG9714a-XL.jpg

I like this type of thread. It takes a very specific aspect of the game and explores more fully aspects of photographing it. Always gives me something to think about when I'm out there and how to get better...
    Regards

Will