Options

First tests with my new background.

coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited August 31, 2012 in People
Recently I bought a new double sided /black+white/ vinyl background - it is my 1st vinyl background.
Took a few shots.
btw
that is my 1st Thread - I'm a new here :)
I didnt try the black side yet :)

img0821sdc.jpg

img0939sp.jpg

img0844sdc.jpg

to see more of my works visit my website

Comments

• Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Welcome to the forum. Nice images, and I like some of the concepts on the website. The images feel ever so slightly soft?, but nice saturation for sure. The eyes are nice, they are smiling lol. Big thing with me.

ETA, I was doing some testing with Imageshack on some of my images, and the softness definitely may have something to do with the compression.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Welcome to the forum. We've had quite a few new folks join in the past month. SO AWESOME! And consider yourself lucky in that you have found the BEST photography forum on the interwebs. Hands down. No doubt.

Like the shots. I too bought a vinyl BG several months ago. Mine is only white though. Wish I would have found the B/W combo, that must be pretty nifty. I tried muslim cloth and also paper in the past. I don't have a permanent studio setup so I have to take my stuff down. This caused the cloth BG to get wrinkles/creases which was a pain to rid in post and the paper just got thrashed from moving/storing. The vinyl is robust enough to be moved around, although a bit heavy, and it doesn't wrinkle. Very nice stuff.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    Welcome to the forum. We've had quite a few new folks join in the past month. SO AWESOME! And consider yourself lucky in that you have found the BEST photography forum on the interwebs. Hands down. No doubt.

Soooo very true, I have learned volumes being here. Great team of pro's, who will stop and help a person be better.
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Good shots.

Just two minor comments...1. your logo, although very elegant, is difficult to read especially in the first picture and placed/sized too prominently 2. I prefer to see the pics cropped tighter, maybe square or 4"x5"...there's too much negative space (probably why your logo is where it is to balance the image).
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
    anonymouscuban - I dont have a normal permanent studio. Just have it in the kitchen :)
    you can see my studio space ant new bacground system HERE permanent studio.
    Previously I had a black or white sheet on the wall mounted with grey mounting tape :) so - it is a big change for me :)
  • Options
    digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Well Done
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    the pics aren't showing up for me here ..(problem on my end because my work computer is crap!)

but i love the work on your site! I am wondering what the screenish looking dots are about? I think it distracts from your beautiful work!
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    welcome !! this is the greatest place online to learn new things and meet wonderful people.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
    lilmomma wrote: »
    the pics aren't showing up for me here ..(problem on my end because my work computer is crap!)
    !

lilmomma - here are links to the pictures :
    http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1769/img0939sp.jpg
    http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1926/img0844sdc.jpg
    http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2212/img0821sdc.jpg

you should be able to open them
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
    Oh TY, there's that detail! Very nice!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
    Thanks all for your warm welcome !!
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    Welcome,

This is a great place to be with honest answers and comments.

So now back to the pictures, a good starter . But I find the light not really charming for this lovely model. I understand that you were trying out your new background, so I would expect that should have been white... You might want to try out a few other light methods, here the pictures are uniformly lit , which makes them rather flat (depth is created by shadows) and as a result the model does not come lose from the background.
    If you like more elastic pictures, try once the lights on the side (just one) and a reflector on the other side. Use remaining ights to light your background so that it is crisp white. Anyhow these are just a few things I would do.

Are those backgrounds any good ? I was thinking of buying one....and since you have them and used them , maybe you can share your experience...

Good job.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2012
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Welcome,

This is a great place to be with honest answers and comments.

So now back to the pictures, a good starter . But I find the light not really charming for this lovely model. I understand that you were trying out your new background, so I would expect that should have been white... You might want to try out a few other light methods, here the pictures are uniformly lit , which makes them rather flat (depth is created by shadows) and as a result the model does not come lose from the background.
    If you like more elastic pictures, try once the lights on the side (just one) and a reflector on the other side. Use remaining ights to light your background so that it is crisp white. Anyhow these are just a few things I would do.

Are those backgrounds any good ? I was thinking of buying one....and since you have them and used them , maybe you can share your experience...

Good job.

Thanks for some advices, however backgroud is white - I just used kind of vintage looking processing - thats why it looks kind of 'pink'