Needing an SLR

whoknowswhoknows Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited August 30, 2012 in Cameras
Hi everyone!

I purchased a Canon T50 film camera last weekend at a yard sale. Excellent deal I hope. Paid $50.00 for the whole package. The camera, film, filters, video telephoto lens (?), 28-210mm lens, 3.8-5.6,
50mm lens, 1.8.
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
I photograph events and use a Fuji HS10. Love the camera, get awesome shots with it. It’s time to upgrade I think.

Is there an SLR Canon that is compatible with these lens?
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
If not. What Slr camera would you suggest? I don’t want to have to sell the house to buy one, or have a nervous break down trying to figure everything out. Something straight forward, excellent quality images, large sensor, ( only because I was told to go for something with a large sensor).

I personally wouldn’t say I’m a beginner. I do take a pretty good shot. At the same time wouldn’t consider myself a pro. No formal training. All self taught.

Thank you for your time.

Linda.
http://eventphotographybylinda.weebly.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited August 30, 2012
    whoknows wrote: »
    ... Is there an SLR Canon that is compatible with these lens?

Canon film cameras, like the T50, use an FD lens mount, and modern Canon digital cameras use an EF and (sometimes) EF-S lens mount. FD mount lenses will not mount or work on a modern EF or EF-S mount camera body. (There are converters available but they don't work.)

I presume that you are interested in a camera suitable for weddings and events.

In Canon, the least that I can recommend is a Canon 40D or 50D, purchased as a used camera. Both have a very nice AF section, and the image quality from both is similar. In a new camera, the least I recommend is a 60D. Sadly, it lacks a PC flash connection, but otherwise it has very desirable features.

In Nikon, the least I can recommend is a D90, purchased as a used camera, or a D7000 purchased new. Both are solid and capable for an event camera.

The lenses are what will kill your budget.

In Canon, the rather ideal wedding and event lens is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM. This costs around $1,179.00USD.

In Nikon, my recommendation for a standard zoom is similar; the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX at around $1,419.00USD.

If those prices scare you, you can get a new Tamron SP 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di II LD IF for around $500USD.

I highly recommend adding a few capable compact flash units and some flash modifiers. Without flash you are subject to available light, which is often more trouble than benefit. A flash with a focus-assist light will dramatically improve your "in focus" success rate for indoor photography.

Figure between $3000 and $4000 to start.

After that, you'll want a second body and backup lenses, because failure is not an option for someone's wedding. You can use your Fuji digicam for now but later you'll also want the second body for an additional lens too. A full-frame (FF) body is a wonderful compliment to the crop bodies if you also get FF lenses.

Additional lenses will include:

A 70-200mm, f2.8 zoom, for large events and for some types of portraits.
    A macro lens, for the ring shots and other detail shots.
    A super-wide-angle zoom, for the interior and exterior church shots and group shots in tight quarters.
    A couple of very fast primes, for during the ceremony (without flash) and for DOF control.

Finally, I prefer studio monolights for the formal shots. I use a pair of Flashpoint 1800ws monolights for most of my formals.

Now add a high-powered computer and software, because you just won't settle for anything less. I can recommend some combination of Lightroom and/or Photoshop, Neat Image for noise control, PictoColor iCorrect Portrait for skin tones, Colour Science i2e Image Editor for general automation, etc., ad nauseum.

It will take some years for all of the additional purchases to occur, but if you have the passion for quality photography it will occur. It will also take years to adjust and tune your shooting style and processing preferences, and that never ends.

Now, some of the above was for drama, but all of it is absolutely true. Names have been omitted ... . mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Ziggy didn't address the issue of the "large sensor". Both Canon and Nikon make a line of cameras with smaller sensors, and cameras with sensors that are larger. The larger sensors are the size of a piece of 35mm film. Thte smaller ones, and about 1.5x as small. The large sensor cameras cost about $1000-$1500 more than the small sensor cameras. They also use more expensive lenses. On Nikon, lenses meant for the small sensor cameras will fit and work on cameras that have large sensors, though there are some caveats. On Canon, the lenses meant for small sensors will not fit or work on the large sensor models.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited August 30, 2012
    Ziggy didn't address the issue of the "large sensor". Both Canon and Nikon make a line of cameras with smaller sensors, and cameras with sensors that are larger. The larger sensors are the size of a piece of 35mm film. Thte smaller ones, and about 1.5x as small. The large sensor cameras cost about $1000-$1500 more than the small sensor cameras. They also use more expensive lenses. On Nikon, lenses meant for the small sensor cameras will fit and work on cameras that have large sensors, though there are some caveats. On Canon, the lenses meant for small sensors will not fit or work on the large sensor models.

Either APS-C or FF will be a much larger sensor size than the sensor size of Linda's current Fuji HS10. I suspect that whoever suggested to her the concept of purchasing a "large sensor" camera had these cameras in mind (or similar D-SLR.)

That said, I agree with you that the FF bodies do afford additional control over DOF and can contribute to a very special bokeh. When I bought my Canon 5D MKII I felt a sense of "coming home", after years of using film based Pentax and Canon SLRs. clap.gif

A FF body, like the Canon 5D MKII, 5D MKIII, or Nikon D700 or D800, makes a wonderful wedding/event acquisition tool, but there is that cost of admission you mentioned in terms of lenses. (Totally worth it, IMO.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums