Options

Upper Antelope Canyon

bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited September 3, 2012 in Landscapes
Sand apparition in Upper Antelope Canyon - 5/18/2012 - comments & criticism welcome.

LightbeamAntelopehdr-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited August 30, 2012
    Really looks like it has a head and is waving its left arm. How spooky cool.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 30, 2012
    Hey, I've taken that same shot. So you can trust me when I say this is a really good one. nod.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    I thought I never wanted to see another shot of Antelope Canyon, but I like this one. I'd consider lowering the tone on the bright spot on the floor. That may be an ignorant suggestion. You're the driver.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Really looks like it has a head and is waving its left arm. How spooky cool.

It is kinda spooky. I used 5 bracketed images to get this, so it came as a suprise to me that this (female?) apparition emerged. Very windy day outside, so there was quite a bit of sand inside the canyon, but of course handfuls of sand were thrown into the light beam by the Navajo guide. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    The colors are very soothing and well balanced. Well done on the post processing.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2012
    Image revision
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I thought I never wanted to see another shot of Antelope Canyon, but I like this one. I'd consider lowering the tone on the bright spot on the floor. That may be an ignorant suggestion. You're the driver.

Well Cornflake..... you got me going on a revision to this image. Only used 3 images in this blend, reduced some of the saturation (I think it looks a little more natural), and did some cropping.
    Let me know what you think.....

SandApriationrev3-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2012
    I still like it. The revision looks a little better but the differences aren't dramatic. I still find my eye being dragged back to the brightness on the floor every time I look, but you shouldn't attach much weight to my reaction.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    nice... seems a bit darker than i remember that spot, but then, i had the full sunbeam thing going on when i was there. didn't get the sand "apparition", though i did manage enough dust in the beam to make it look just a bit opaque. i like yours, though... the "apparition" appears to be dancing to some soft, slow, and yet unheard music...

Don, it's almost impossible to get rid of the bright spot on the canyon floor in shots like this... the contrast is just too great between the brilliant light of the sun and the deep shadows of the canyon. perhaps brightening up the entire image would lessen the apparent contrast a bit and make the bright spot less noticeable, but it's pretty hard to tone it down much. i've tried...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    Another fine slot shot Lenthumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    LakeLadyLakeLady Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    Enjoyed looking at the image and reading your comments -- planning first trip to the canyon area.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    image revision
    squirl033 wrote: »
    nice... seems a bit darker than i remember that spot, but then, i had the full sunbeam thing going on when i was there. didn't get the sand "apparition", though i did manage enough dust in the beam to make it look just a bit opaque. i like yours, though... the "apparition" appears to be dancing to some soft, slow, and yet unheard music...

Don, it's almost impossible to get rid of the bright spot on the canyon floor in shots like this... the contrast is just too great between the brilliant light of the sun and the deep shadows of the canyon. perhaps brightening up the entire image would lessen the apparent contrast a bit and make the bright spot less noticeable, but it's pretty hard to tone it down much. i've tried...

Here is yet another revision of this image and I believe it to be an improvement. Rocky, you are right about the difficulty of obtaining detail within the contrast differential in the chamber. Without some kind of blending, retaining any kind of highlight detail is impossible. If we could have the place to ourselves, with plenty of time to shoot, things may be different. I'm new to HDR and have much to learn.

SandApriationrev4-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    The colors are very soothing and well balanced. Well done on the post processing.

Thanks Trey.... I appreciate and value your input.

-Len
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Well if you're new to doing HDR, you're doing remarkably well. I think you've improved it.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Well if you're new to doing HDR, you're doing remarkably well. I think you've improved it.

Thanks. I really appreciate your input, I think you really made me take additional looks at this image.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    I think both versions are very nice. It's really hard to capture a unique image in an iconic location that has been photographed by millions, but I think you did it!. The soft processing gives it a ethereal feel.

Sam
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    I think both versions are very nice. It's really hard to capture a unique image in an iconic location that has been photographed by millions, but I think you did it!. The soft processing gives it a ethereal feel.

Sam

Thanks Sam. I appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Sam

Ethereal indeed. my best-selling image is a similar shot i took in 2008... oddly enough, titled "Ethereal"! ;)
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    squirl033 wrote: »
    Ethereal indeed. my best-selling image is a similar shot i took in 2008... oddly enough, titled "Ethereal"! ;)

You do know I copyrighted that word, right? :D

Sam