Options

Trying out some new equipment. C&C welcome

novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
edited September 2, 2012 in People
I picked up a new lens, I so love, a few weeks ago, and wanted to try it and a single flash, placement and distance from subject. Plus I wanted to check bokeh on this lens. This is my 30 year old son, who was feeling down in the dumps after a LTR broke up. So I thought a nice session would boost his self esteem. I have since received my flash Fotodiox modifiers to soften the harsh flash, so sorry about that. I promised I would post some stuff for you guys to critique, so lets get to it. I've had some issues with Imageshack and softness so I'll post direct links as well.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7199/img7592smaller.jpg
img7592smaller.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5438/img7644editeditsmaller.jpg
img7644editeditsmaller.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3535/img7548sharpened.jpg
img7548sharpened.jpg

Thanks, let me know what you think.

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    the light is still harsh...lokk at all the shdawos on his clothes and face. if you plan to use flash directly pointed (even through diffuser) out doors, it should be used "fill flash" meaning set it at -3 EV TTL. The sole purpose is to simply lift shadows in direct sunlight. Since you are shooting in shade anyway the use of direct flash is questionable. Also what lens did you get? Finally becareful when you sharpen..look at the background bokeh in that last shot. It becomes very distracting becasue you sharpened an already busy bokeh pattern and it just looks bad.

That said you did get some good natural expressions from your handsome son.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2012
    Thanks for the critique. Lol, sometimes I have to walk away and come back with a fresh eye. That last shot I really wanted to save, I missed the eyes ever so slightly, thus the extra sharpening. That harsh shadowing really really caught me off guard. I believe I need to back the flashes farther back with the modifiers to soften it even more. He was about 3 hours late for the good light, and I knew it was going to be a struggle ughh lol, chasing the Sun. I had forgotten I have a second optical triggered flash, that would have helped cut the sharp edge from the single flash. Lol, still in learning mode here. Still alot to learn for sure lol. I know excuses aren't allowed in photography lol, not trying to go there, just get feedback.

I picked up a Sigma 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6 DC IF SLD Optical Stabilized (OS). It's a rework on an older EF lens with added coating for digital and OS. After using Canon kit lenses for the last year, I'm really digging the Sigma. Slightly better contrast, less barrel distortion and definitely sharper right OOC. After sliding down the hill last winter to get the HDR railroad shot, I think I banged my 55-250 IS and it went soft, hanging off my shoulder as I grabbed at trees going by. I didn't notice it for several weeks, but it's a throw away to me, cheaper to just buy another, rather than have repaired, if not something better. The Sigma was a quick solution to get where I can decide.

Anyway, thanks much for the critique, definitely very much appreciated! thumb.gif
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    #1 is a little too much flash for my eye.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    Seems to work, are you using TTL (i-TTL) with the flash ? What lens did you buy ?
    Try once of camera with the flashunit (cord on the hotshoe), it gives less flat pictures.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2012
    Thanks Josh/ D3S, I REALLY appreciate you're thoughts. On that first one, I wasn't quite sure I had the temp right, I thought it looked a tad off, cool/ flashy. I personally like rich, warm images, so I tend to tip that way on PP, but sometimes go a little far, so I restrain myself lol, sometimes to much so. My flash was to the left about, 4 feet (camera left) and probably a little to far forward. I use a 30 foot corded off camera, for now, so I do have control of it. Looking at Pixel Kings as a next purchase. I didn't notice until PP, that he was moving forward and backwards in that chair, and that was messing with me lol and with the flash that close, probably 6-8 feet to his right side,camera left, any closer, it would quickly blow him out (I assume), probably what happened on that one.

This was a great leaning experience to me, on how many variables there are. If nothing else, lol, this is a great thread to learn what NOT to do lol.

ETA, I think the lens link is in a post above. Not an expensive lens, but it impressed me.

I bumped the saturation on the first one ever so slightly to warm him up.
    Before
    img7592smaller.jpg

After
    img7592ywarmer.jpg
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    I think it was a decent first trip out with a new lens. As Qarik mentioned, some of the harsh shadows hurt your images.

Number one would have been a favorite for me, but that harsh shadow left by the nose just kills it for me.

It looks to me, on number three, that you found that you had soft eyes and tried to bring them back by over sharpening. Did you slightly miss focus on that one?
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2012
    Thanks Bryce. Yeah, I stopped about 40 shots in, and hooked up the laptop and reviewed the earlier shots and saw that harsh shadow and was like, ughhhh.. I was losing my best light pretty quick and the son was getting restless. So I was going thru the last ones pretty quick, and missed his eyes on one favorite pose I liked. Since I shot these, I have picked up a few modifiers to help smooth the flash out and will try them on the next shoot, but I tested them right after I received them and I'm most pleased. I thought about shopping the shadows, but wanted to present as is, for a learning experience for me and others. He started out pretty somber and I started joking with him and he loosened up.

All in all, a great first experience for sure.

You might find this humorous, his response to us joking around lol. No PP done at all, was just a stolen moment form a dad and son lol. Photography doesn't have to be serious all the time lol.
    img75972.jpg
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    Novice,

In addition to what others have said, there is really no sense in trying to sharpen pictures where you have missed focus. Sharpness isn't everything, but in portraits it's usually quite important. You can't salvage it, so I'd recommend you just try to retake it next time. When you do try to salvage it, you end up creating other problems (if you don't know what you're doing) or just a clearly doctored picture (if you know what you're doing). Both aren't great.

Just saw the above post, (with him being goofy) and that's honestly the best of the bunch. It's honest and funny. The bokeh is very busy, but at least you got a great moment. Keep at it.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Thanks Quincy, so very true. I really cringed to sharpen that one, but he liked the pose, so I pumped it. And I knew I was going over the limit at that. All in all a good shooting experience and a great learning tool. I will be tethering any shoots, were worrying about, it's so much easier to see the eyes on a 17 inch screen vs a 3 inch lcd. I think we've coined a new phrase now, "busy bokeh" lol.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Thanks Quincy, so very true. I really cringed to sharpen that one, but he liked the pose, so I pumped it. And I knew I was going over the limit at that. All in all a good shooting experience and a great learning tool. I will be tethering any shoots, were worrying about, it's so much easier to see the eyes on a 17 inch screen vs a 3 inch lcd. I think we've coined a new phrase now, "busy bokeh" lol.

Many sports photographers look for backgrounds before they look for subjects. It's an important part of the recipe that brings us oohs and aahs. It's hard to get it all right in a master stroke. Just keep trying, and you'll get there. Give up, and you won't!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Thanks, I don't plan on quitting. Not sure what level I want to go too, but I will continue as long as it stays fun. When it stops being fun, I'll quit lol. Probably won't happen anytime soon. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Thanks, I don't plan on quitting. Not sure what level I want to go too, but I will continue as long as it stays fun. When it stops being fun, I'll quit lol. Probably won't happen anytime soon. :D

You're damn right there. I hope you have deep pockets! hahahha