michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited August 31, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Every hundredth post. I figure I shouldn't waste it. Part of the "Local Owners" series.
DSC1338-X2.jpg

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    The old joke in photography is "When should you shoot in portrait?" with the
    answer being "Right after you shoot in landscape". Of course, the two alignments
    can be switched for the joke.

This is a photo that I think would be better shot in portrait. I'd rather see the
    feet and the mop bucket than the second set of tables.

It's such a good image of a small cafe owner, though, that it works as is. It's just
    that it could work better.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    I love the tables. And I love the glasses. And I love the coffee bags. Essential for the image (for me). The chair legs pointing up sends a visual (yeah) cue to the eyes.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    Tony, I didn't even think of a shot in portrait. I'd seen the image in my head a few days before taking it and it turned out pretty much as I'd imagined. Ideally, it would have included him and his partner Christine. I'll probably try a reshoot as a part of the project with both of them, but I doubt I'll get the same expression and vibe.
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    I agree with Tony that a bit wider would be nice to include the feet and bucket. I'm not a fan of cropping at the shins but overall, I like this as an environmental portrait.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |