Political Fundraiser

SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited August 31, 2012 in Street and Documentary
With tonight being a big night for the GOP, I thought I'd share a few shots from an event I worked earlier this year.

CROPPED-DSC0141-L.jpg
Ann Romney

CROPPED-DSC0090-L.jpg
Michigan Governor Rick Snyder

CROPPED-DSC0190-L.jpg
Rev. C.L. Bryant

CROPPED-DSC0222-L.jpg
Rick Santorum

CROPPED-DSC0064-L.jpg
The local (and plenty of not-so-local) media.

PJ.
Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    What's interesting about these shots is that the top third in all of them and the left third in the first three is empty. Also, why is the flag missing in the Governor's shot?
    edited August 30, 2012
    damonff wrote: »
    Political Warning!!!

I think I'm going to puke.

Of course, not because of the quality of the shots...

Damon, as FYI this is the type of post I'm hoping to avoid in the future. If you'd like to respond, show us your images of Pollies that make you feel all warm inside... :D

I'm pretty sure a not-insignificant portion of the photojournalists in the back of the room aren't best buds with the speakers either, but they get on with the job.
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    The backdrop for the stage was a HUGE American flag so from my angle all we get are the big flag's stripes. Nothing else was on the wide podium except the state flag you see on the right.

Good catch on the missing state flag in the gov's shot. There were other things that went on during the evening and it was in a different spot during his speech (though I was not).

Out of curiosity, keeping in mind you want to include part of the sponsor logo on the podium in each one, how would you have cropped them differently? I wasn't happy with throwing the speakers into the left third of the frame so kept them relatively centered.
    michswiss wrote: »
    What's interesting about these shots is that the top third in all of them and the left third in the first three is empty. Also, why is the flag missing in the Governor's shot?

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    My political bias may interfere with my judgement of the shots, but...

I would have cropped it a LOT tighter. I don't feel that the flags contribute a lot to the shot, and I would like the speakers' eyes to be more visible (and maybe a little more of the podium too).
    edited August 31, 2012
    Here's my thinking. There are a ton of headshots of these folks taken by the best in the PJ business. I think I would have pulled back to capture as much of the setting as possible while still maintaining centre stage on the pollies. Make the flag backdrop over the top and the subject. Play with the scene.

If you're there for a job, get the shot your editor needs. Otherwise, work to tell a visual story that those not there might not have been aware of.
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    Thanks, both. Appreciate your thoughts and will keep them in mind.

PJ.