Options

Camera Backpack that will hold 300mm 2.8 + body and a few lenses

Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited September 18, 2012 in Accessories
Hey Guys, I'm looking for a Backpack that will hold a 300mm 2.8 Vr plus d300, and a few small lenses. nikon 10.5mm, 28-100, 2x converter and 50mm 1.4. I can't seem to find much.

I have in that past kept it all in my pelican case, but Im doing to traveling and need to walk a ton.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    Hands down the best bag I've ever owned (and I've owned many!) is the Kiboko by Gura Gear. You will not regret it. Google for kiboko bag reviews, there are a ton.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,253 moderator
    edited August 31, 2012
    I have two f-stop bags are wonderful, the Loka, and the Kenti. The Kenti is the smaller of the two bags, but both would hold what you have specified. I use the Loka when I travel, also use it sometimes near home. I bought the Kenti for more minimal wandering near home, but it has space for two camera bodies with lenses attached, or one body with lens + several additional lenses.

You would need to check the dimensions of the Kenti with the lens you specified, no question about the Loka though.

http://fstopgear.com/

I've posted reviews of both bags on my blog and on dgrin: --- Denise
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    Check out post #8 in this thread. If you're looking for a lower cost solution than some of the other suggestions, this one is a winner. I bought one based on this review and have been very happy with it for the money spent!
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2012
    Serendipity. I need a Bag too. From what I see in most reviews most folks tend to not really use their bag.

Statements like this one, ( "I wouldn't hump 30 pounds across a mountain trail for 6 hours with it, but for casual day hiking and airport walks it's just fine." )
    Means to me, you're not actually using it as I would need to use it.

I do hump across mountains, and I do regularly get into situations that are hazardous, so I need a bag that is as the OP requested, an actual Backpack for photo gear. I don't want to haul 30lbs. either but I may have to some time.

Denise, your blogging about the Loka, is awesome. good looking bag. Seems that bag may be the right thing for me. Thanks for the detailed review and links.

I rented backpacks last year because I don't do that (backpacking) regularly and they can be pricey. So it would seem to me that a backpack that would live up to it's criteria (for photo gear) would necessarily be expensive, +- $400 or >.

Time is on my side, so maybe I can save some money, but really at the end of the day it is about comfort on a long as hell trail. Day-hikes for sure, but they can be long, tiring and tend to have plenty of altitude gain. And hey, I'm not 20 anymore.

As for the OP, perhaps you can be more specific in regards to your walking as you call it? Only to help others help you in your need.
    tom wise
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    I 2nd Fstop bags. You can configure for your needs. Last weekend my Satori EXP had a D3s with 70-200 mounted, D700 with 24-70 mounted, 300s with lensbaby mounted, 3 pocket wizards, 3 flashes, and a bunch of misc junk. There is still room for some clothes and other softgoods and waterbottles on the sides. Heavy as hell, but with hip belt on I could backpack it all day if I had to.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2012
    Check out the Crumpler Karachi Outpost backpack. They come in three sizes. I've the largest and have humped 30+ pounds for a day. Nice shoulder pads, chest strap to keep them in the right place, and a a decent hip belt to take the weight off the shoulders.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Hey Guys, I'm looking for a Backpack that will hold a 300mm 2.8 Vr plus d300, and a few small lenses. nikon 10.5mm, 28-100, 2x converter and 50mm 1.4. I can't seem to find much.

I have in that past kept it all in my pelican case, but Im doing to traveling and need to walk a ton.

Thanks for the help.

I have used LowePro for years now and the ones I have owned all have had superbly padded shoulder straps and large padded lumbar strap.....my largest, the PRO TREKKER AW, was the largest airline carry on allowable in 2003....If I were still able to hump 30-50- pounds of gear across a mountain and the forests of Europe again...this would be my case of choice...the padding is there is if need for real protection...this bag is super tough .....

This bag would take what you have listed and leave room for snacks and extra clothes if needed...so a smaller option might be in order... ... ... ... here is alink to LowePro back packs
    http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Backpacks,2.htm You might look at the waterproof line also and also the sling pack line.....

I have purchased the bulk of my packs off ebay from Sell-n- Send out of Centennial Co. always have had great cutomer service and no probs...also free shipping this pack might fit your needs http://tinyurl.com/8ht7242

If you do not like EBAY...then Sell n Send also has a website.... http://tinyurl.com/92zv48t
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    Tenba Medium backpack.