A interesting character.

ForceGhostForceGhost Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited September 4, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I know the horizon is wonky but i did straighten it and re-upload it the Flickr but for some reason i cant see it in my photo stream..

Thoughts? I've been looking for more interesting subjects and this is what i found :)

7905416952_4d3806c571.jpg
IMG_2660 by ForceGhost, on Flickr
Kind Regards,
Jordon.
My website

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    The first problem with this image is the caption-- when you promise the viewer "an interesting character" you are setting yourself up for viewers to say "no, he's not." Captioning images is hard, but it's also often the only time you have to put context to an image. The rules of writing, specifically "show, don't tell" apply here. If all else fails, "Untitled" works well.

Michael Johnston over at theonlinephotographer has some thoughts about context and captioning that I found helpful: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/02/context.html and http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/07/in-praise-of-captions.html

As to the image-- the crooked background and the two doorways is interesting. The image itself is kind of flat. And, most damning, I have no idea why this fellow is interesting. I have no doubt he is interesting, but you're not showing me why or how he is interesting.

Keep shooting and keep them coming!
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    I agree with Mark that the image is a bit flat. Some more contrast and some blacks would improve.

I disagree with the balance though. This guy looks interesting if not a bit odd. Sure, would be good to delve deeper and see something even more interesting about him but this is a look that drags you in and makes you wonder. Cropped in a bit and rework the processing and I think it is a solid keeper.

Now go hang out with this guy, if you dare, and get something even more interesting that tells us something about him.
  • ForceGhostForceGhost Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    I agree with Mark that the image is a bit flat. Some more contrast and some blacks would improve.

I disagree with the balance though. This guy looks interesting if not a bit odd. Sure, would be good to delve deeper and see something even more interesting about him but this is a look that drags you in and makes you wonder. Cropped in a bit and rework the processing and I think it is a solid keeper.

Now go hang out with this guy, if you dare, and get something even more interesting that tells us something about him.

Hows this? :)

First one is the new edit and second one is the old edit.

7908438270_116c36f295_c.jpg7905416952_4d3806c571_c.jpg
    Kind Regards,
    Jordon.
    My website
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    definite improvement although the bottom half of his pants legs darkened a bit more. I am assuming you didn't burn it. I'd dodge that area back a bit so it doesn't look like he went wading. Might take it a bit further but I like it even more now. That expression is intriguing and worrisome at same time!
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    The two things that stop this from being an "interesting person", to me, are the size
    of the image (even with full size clicked) and the overall gray tonality of image. The
    man's features are just not clear, but there's a hint of interest in his features and the
    puzzle of one arm or two.

The better images here are shot closer and processed with more contrast or increased
    tonality.

A figure at a distance can be interesting, but the interest factor has to jump out of the
    screen at you.

This bloke, head and shoulders only, might be interesting.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    ForceGhost wrote: »
    I know the horizon is wonky but i did straighten it and re-upload it the Flickr but for some reason i cant see it in my photo stream..

Thoughts? I've been looking for more interesting subjects and this is what i found :)

7905416952_4d3806c571.jpg
    IMG_2660 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

This guy is intriguing looking, but as Mark noted, either he is, or isn't - let the viewer decide, don't tell the viewer what to see. Nine times out of 10 "untitled" will be better than title you come up with. Next, this image is a great example of why not to tilt images - or cameras. I notice in your flicker stream that you have the same photo with the doorway straightened - allowing me to look at the guy, and not wonder whether the street slopes, or you tripped. mwink.gif Also, the treatment of the image is better in the straightened version - there's more contrast, and it's darker, making the guy's doofy expression more obvious.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • ForceGhostForceGhost Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    This guy is intriguing looking, but as Mark noted, either he is, or isn't - let the viewer decide, don't tell the viewer what to see. Nine times out of 10 "untitled" will be better than title you come up with. Next, this image is a great example of why not to tilt images - or cameras. I notice in your flicker stream that you have the same photo with the doorway straightened - allowing me to look at the guy, and not wonder whether the street slopes, or you tripped. mwink.gif Also, the treatment of the image is better in the straightened version - there's more contrast, and it's darker, making the guy's doofy expression more obvious.

Cheers for the feedback!
    Kind Regards,
    Jordon.
    My website