Options

Work flow - film processing

kaythorogoodkaythorogood Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited November 20, 2005 in Technique
I'm not a digital photographer. I'm considering joining Smugmug. Are there any film photographers using Smugmug? I trying to determine the most economical and efficient way to process my film for Smugmug. Would processing my film locally and then uploading my photos to Smugmug be the smoothest route to take. Or, should I use Smugmug's lab? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Hi kaythorogood
    Does Smugmug develop film? If they do, I'm not aware of it.

Anyway, I haven't switched to digital yet myself, I use a Nikon N80 film camera. I typically develop my film (no prints) at a local lab. Then I scan my negatives to produce digital images, which I then upload to Smugmug. And finally, I use IMatch to keep track of it all.

I encourage you to join Smugmug, you won't regret it.

Yolanda

http://www.yolanda.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    I'm not a digital photographer. I'm considering joining Smugmug. Are there any film photographers using Smugmug? I trying to determine the most economical and efficient way to process my film for Smugmug. Would processing my film locally and then uploading my photos to Smugmug be the smoothest route to take. Or, should I use Smugmug's lab? Any other suggestions?

Hi Kay, thanks for posting!

Unfortunately, we don't develop film. But for great photosharing, you can process your film in a lab of your choice, have them make digital files for you, and then upload them to your Smugmug site.

I hope this helps,
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    What I do with my film is I have a local lab do a develop only (i.e. no prints, just negatives) and then I scan them into my computer with a Minolta ScanDual IV, and then upload then do a little processing (not much though), and then upload them as jpegs. Both the Italy and Washington, DC galleries here http://davidson.smugmug.com/Street%20Scenes were entirely done like that.
  • Options
    kaythorogoodkaythorogood Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2005
    Digital files - uploading to Smugmug
    andy wrote:
    Hi Kay, thanks for posting!

Unfortunately, we don't develop film. But for great photosharing, you can process your film in a lab of your choice, have them make digital files for you, and then upload them to your Smugmug site.

I hope this helps,
    I plan to have prints made from the files. How should I instruct my lab regarding the digital files? High resolution files, etc.? Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2005
    You want the highest res they offer, but typically they don't offer different resolutions and just offer a photo cd or something like that. But again, if you scan your own film, you'll start to see how much labs screw up everything.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    More info on said slide scanner here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22144
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    I'm a film photographer & use smugmug.

I do all my own scanning and upload to smugmug for prints and sales. If you decide to have your lab scan them, check and see what sizes they offer for what price. I know every time you increase the quality, the price also increases. If you shoot a lot of film, you'll probably be better off doing it yourself. My scanner paid for itself in about 2 months.

Dave
  • Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    I have a question to those of you that scan your negatives. Can you tell me what settings you use when you scan your negatives. What resolution, image size, etc. Do you scan them as jpg's initially? What is your typical file size of your scanned images. What do reduce the size of the image and resolution before you upload them to Smugmug.

As I said before, I already do scan my images. But I'm just curious what method you use and how it compares to what I do.

Thanks!
    Yolanda (NikonGirl)
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2005
    I use the highest quality settings it can do, but I do go straight to a JPEG and also I only do one pass since it's much faster than multiple passes and I see no benefit from multiple passes. My images are typically 11.5mb
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    I think I'll buy one of those scanners to scan all my past negatives (or some of them). I have, however, dumped film. It only makes sense now days to go digital. I bought the 20d and was a bit skeptical because I love the quality of film but I must say I'm completetly over the skeptic now. My 20d makes some beautiful photos and I'll even go as far as saying better than my AE-1 film camera. Of course technique has a LOT to do with it.

kc7dji