Options

Which Bokeh do you prefer?

ForceGhostForceGhost Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited September 5, 2012 in Landscapes
Not sure if this is the right section as i dont think these count as landscapes.

What image do you think the DOF best fits with the image?

1.7908543324_e5c81744e8_c.jpg
IMG_2793 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

2.7908545830_e1b858892e_c.jpg
IMG_2792 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

Same here..

1.7908544404_9016eb51fc_c.jpg
IMG_2789 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

2.7908547662_3390869709_c.jpg
IMG_2791 by ForceGhost, on Flickr

Cheers!
Kind Regards,
Jordon.
My website

Comments

• Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    Well... neither really. To me on each #1 they are not creamy enough making it very distracting, especially on the 2nd shot. That ends up making the 2nd shot's number 2 a bit more salvageable. Though maybe a DoF half between those two shots would be better with whatever lens you have.

Curious what lens and what f stop on each shot?
  • Options
    supermarvin76supermarvin76 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    For the first set, I can't comment. I guess I don't really know what you're after with that.

The second set, for me, the bokeh in the first shot. However, the shadow on the right side of the board is a distraction to me.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" -Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
  • Options
    ForceGhostForceGhost Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    jww wrote: »
    Well... neither really. To me on each #1 they are not creamy enough making it very distracting, especially on the 2nd shot. That ends up making the 2nd shot's number 2 a bit more salvageable. Though maybe a DoF half between those two shots would be better with whatever lens you have.

Curious what lens and what f stop on each shot?

Canon 50mm (f/1.8) 1st shot is F1.8 and second is F22
    Kind Regards,
    Jordon.
    My website
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    ForceGhost wrote: »
    Canon 50mm (f/1.8) 1st shot is F1.8 and second is F22

Ahh.. I suspected that. A telephoto at 2.8 would look better and more creamy, but what you have is what you have. F22 is way too much for either as that is really no Bokeh at all with that lens.
  • Options
    PlayswithrocksPlayswithrocks Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    In both sets I like the first image better because I think it allows more attention to be drawn to the subject of your photos. I don't think the sharper background adds anything since there's really nothing of interest (IMO) in the background. However, like was said above, I wish the bokeh wasn't quite as choppy/rough and a bit more "creamy."

I'm dong a lot of learning along the way with shots like these as well so your posting the comparisons is helpful to me. Not only is reading the feedback from others insightful, but it helps for me to think through my impressions as well.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    The great thing about being the photographer is that you use the DOF to guide the viewer's eye to what your subject is. Don't ask your viewers. Tell your story. I don't care for the Bokeh of that lens, though. I agree with others who describe it as distracting. Remember our eyes are always drawn to areas that are bright. Bright bokeh is hard to pull off with a darker subject. It makes the eyes search the photo, too much. Remember also the rules of composition (dead center is deadly).