Guess my time here will be short.....

JPphotoJPphoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited September 6, 2012 in SmugMug Support
With them raising prices for business sites. I can't see the benefit of paying 250.00 a year and maybe making a sale. I thought this was a good place to put up shop and sell but guess not. I dont think ill be renewing ever.

Anyone know of any other places on the web that offers what we have here without the greedy hands in my wallet?

Comments

• johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    A lot of people are looking at Zenfolio now, a few friends have just started a free trial with them. I've not had chance to look yet, but I will be doing. Smug are treating us like idiots, you can only take so much.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    some of my LOCAL Photog friends have been using Zen for several years and looking at their pricing it looks pretty darn good.

I know I won't stay at the Pro Level even if I stay here... here is the Pricing comparison page at Zen for their site offerings:
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    JPphoto wrote: »
    Anyone know of any other places on the web that offers what we have here without the greedy hands in my wallet?
    If you're looking for the exact same offerings, you'll be hard pressed to find it anywhere for significantly less. If you're willing to not have unlimited storage, photoshelter and a few other pro offerings may be good for you.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • CardenCarden Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Zenfo
    In case you haven't just gone to the site this is what is offered for $250 a year. Just FYI. I am still Smuggin' it until I figure it out. :bash
    • Unlimited storage
    • Host high-definition videos
    • Use your own domain name
    The Premium plans have all you need to sell your work online professionally. Premium

Complete professional website with everything you need for selling online.
    Includes all the features of the Unlimited plan, plus:
    • Your own portfolio and proofing website
    • Unlimited storage
    • 64 MB maximum file size
    • Set your own selling prices
    • Client access page
    • Sell digital products (8% fee)
    • Marketing tools, coupons, gift certificates
    • Zenfolio branding is removed
    • Can be used with external website
    • Client proofing and Favorites
    • Watermarks
    • Sell products from partner labs (12% fee*)
    • Self-fulfill your own orders (4% fee)
    Premium

$120/year

Premium Business

All the features and fees of the Premium plan, plus:
    • Sell products from pro labs:
      MpixPro and One Vision Imaging
    • Unlimited storage
    • 64 MB maximum file size
    • Custom shipping option
    • 0% fee on self-fulfilled orders
    • Multi-user account access
    • Instant Live Chat support:
      Monday - Thursday, 9 - 5pm Pacific Time
    • Have orders shipped to you first
    • Set minimum order amount
    • Complete order editing including refunds
    • Export orders and Favorites to Lightroom
    $250/year
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    It looks like a slightly different mix of features. It may work for some, but not others. The thing I'd be concerned about are all the little quirks and details in the system that you don't know about yet. Check out their uservoice to see what they're missing, some of which have been features here at SM for years:
    http://zenfolio.uservoice.com/forums/75695-feature-suggestions
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • tjgranttjgrant Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    JPphoto wrote: »
    With them raising prices for business sites. I can't see the benefit of paying 250.00 a year and maybe making a sale. I thought this was a good place to put up shop and sell but guess not. I dont think ill be renewing ever.

If you aren't sure you will be making sales, then I agree, SM is not the place for you. It seems only one plan - the most expensive one - lets you sell. All the others are just for show. So I wonder about all the people who just want to post their pics online... why pay for that when other sites give you that ability. They may not have all the features, but in this economy people aren't going to pay just to show off. A free account on Flickr, for example, will work just fine.

As for photog who want to sell, SM will work but most "real" photographers (i.e. not me) have their own custom sites. Hardly any use SM. A few do, certainly, but not many. SM was for the masses. But it seems they want to now go after serious photogs only. But, frankly, with their cookie-cutter pages and dodgy technical reputation, I doubt they will win this market.

If you are just looking to post photos, use a free site until you think you are a good enough photog to actually make some serious sales. And then, just create your own website (or have someone do it).