Options

Miss Perma-Smile

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited September 7, 2012 in People
Snuck this in last Sunday morning before I took off for vacation.

Have you ever noticed that dancers and cheerleaders have this "stage smile" that they use when performing? The "stage smile" tended to pop up quite a bit during this portrait session. Had to really work this girl to get a few that I thought looked real.

webccAmanda-12ab-L.jpg

webccAmanda-39ab-L.jpg

webccAmanda-33ab-L.jpg

webccAmanda-56ab-L.jpg

Lighting on this one was a challenge. Direct sunlight and ugly stuff everywhere but the angle I took it from. It's OK, but I'm not real proud of it.

webccAmanda-54ab-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    Photography is a much people skills as it is working with gear. You got her to smile on a few of those. Nice work. I find it helps when others are there to get the person laughing.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 2, 2012
    Nice shots. It's strange but many people simply can't smile naturally on demand. You probably already know this, but I've found the best thing is to joke around and make them laugh then take your shot. Their smile will be bright and genuine and it'll be their favorite shot. Works every time.

The jump shot came out great, don't sweat the minor nits.
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    Photography is a much people skills as it is working with gear.

So very true....I think this is what I'm best at...my buddies call it my charm.

What helps me is that I rarely shoot through the viewfinder during portrait sessions....I'm usually chatting away, making eye contact and good conversation, and then secretly firing the shutter.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    Nicely done. To me, " natural" smiles are one of the toughest things to coax from a model.
    Try fart jokes.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    No 2 it is my fav!
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Nice work, I do like 4 & 5 best. In the other pictures the young lady wears red, a color that is very hard to portrait in full sun-light. In 2 and 3 the brightness of the red starts to make it lose details (could be that the original is ok, but on the web view it is not. Well at least not on my Eizo). Secondly, red always pulls the attention and has the tendency to make things larger then they are... If I look at the last shot and the third one , then you see what I mean. The girl looks slimmer in the last one. Colors do a lot on how somebody appears on a portrait.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    I like what you've been doing in shots similar to 3. Good stuff.