Options

Bay Photo Metallic

Al McCormickAl McCormick Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited September 19, 2012 in The Big Picture
Recommendations on type of photos worth considering the metallic process. I was looking at Bay Photo, unless someone would recommend another vendor that makes more sense.

I have attached one phone I considered, but am worried I have no clues as to which are the right kind of photo to experiment with the process.

Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Al McCormick

Comments

• Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    Bay Photo is a good choice, but there are also several labs that offer the Kodak Endura Metallic paper. I really like the paper for night time shots, outdoor architecture, and pretty much anything man-made.
    I also like it for sports shots as well.

That truck is very cool! It would look great!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Thanks for the push
    I will let you know how it goes. I realize it is labor day weekend, so I certainly appreciate you both taking the time to comment.

Al McCormick
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Visited both your Websites
    Enjoyed them both very much. What I found interesting, aside from the fact I loved your photos, I found a lot of synergy in the photos I take. Okay, maybe it's not that interesting, but I have take a lot of the same photos.

New to this site [I am presently on zenfolio...sorry], and presently considering making my own separate website. Is there section here were people discuss approaches etc...

Thanks again, for your input and hope we talk again.

Al McCormick
    http://sainternationalphoto.zenfolio.com
    http://mostvaluableplayer.biz
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    Thanks for looking at my website. I can see we do have similar interests.

BTW, I do know MPIX has metallic paper as well which is the same as Bay Photo's, and a little cheaper.

If you are looking at customizing a site around smugmug, then the "smugmug pro customization" under support is the place to be. Many of the topics are also generic in nature. "Mind your own business" under wide angle is also a good place to look for this type of thing.
    The other forums that I look at are PIXTUS, which used to be the Texas Photo Forum, and is now combined with the California Photo Forum to form PIXTUS. It has some more focused web site categories, and a business section as well that I frequent.

If looking at this site, you will notice a bit of an uproar with smugmug right now. SM just increased the Pro level from $150 to $300 per year, so people are still trying to process the change.

So back to updating price lists!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited September 2, 2012
    You might also consider printing that photo on metal (as opposed to metallic paper). I've been very pleased with Bay Photo's metal prints - http://www.bayphoto.com/metalprints/.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Metal versus Metallic Paper
    Denise,

Appreciate your recommendation. I did a photo using the Metallic Paper from MPIX. I thought it was nice, but unless I am wrong, I want to believe Metal Prints will look a bit better. Comment?

Do you think the photo is the right kind of photo for Metal? If memory serves me, I did use Topaz filtering via photoshop on the photo.

I was considering ordering a 11/2 inch Black with the Metal Print. Good idea?

Impressed with your Blog and more importantly with what you accomplished. Other than beautiful, how did you find Iceland? People, places to eat and sleep?

MomaZunk,
    So new to the site had not heard the grumblings. If I get gutsy and organize my own website via Wordpress, then use the same host site for my other company. I am guessing Zenfolio will end up raising their price also.

What do you think - Get a Wordpress Template and host my own through my existing web host?

Al McCormick
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Appreciate your recommendation. I did a photo using the Metallic Paper from MPIX. I thought it was nice, but unless I am wrong, I want to believe Metal Prints will look a bit better. Comment?

Do you think the photo is the right kind of photo for Metal? If memory serves me, I did use Topaz filtering via photoshop on the photo.

I was considering ordering a 11/2 inch Black with the Metal Print. Good idea?

Impressed with your Blog and more importantly with what you accomplished. Other than beautiful, how did you find Iceland? People, places to eat and sleep?
    Al -
    I think that photo will look great on metal. The metal prints that I have use the float mount blocks and rounded corners.

Iceland was awesome! It's on my list for a return visit, hopefully sooner rather than later. The people were great, places to sleep were easy to find. I was staying in guest houses and hostels, level of comfort depended on the place. Food was interesting, but part of that is me - I tend to eat close to (but not) a vegetarian diet, including dairy and fish. I was able to find acceptable food, no worries there.

A blog is a good addition to your site - but only if you post on a somewhat regular basis. It doesn't need to be daily or even weekly, just often enough to keep people interested in coming back.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    Iceland- A Place I want to go
    I think you have help me consider where I may go next year. I talk with a Einar Eriendson on my facebook page. His photos from there are spectacular. I never asked Einar, [he speaks English], but how is the language barrier?

Okay it is a go. Between you and MomaZ I am going to move forward with the Metal Photo at BayPhoto. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Al
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2012
    I think you have help me consider where I may go next year. I talk with a Einar Eriendson on my facebook page. His photos from there are spectacular. I never asked Einar, [he speaks English], but how is the language barrier?
    I only attempted to talk with one person who didn't speak English. I asked someone in a shop who addressed me in English without me saying a word if he knew I couldn't speak Icelandic. He didn't, but he said that most speak English.

I was staying in a hostel one night where I believe I was the only person there from North America. Most of the other people were from Europe, at least one person was from Israel, and a few were from somewhere in Asia. I heard many different languages spoken there. Most people spoke multiple (as in more than two) languages - and most switched between languages very quickly.

Based on my experience you won't have a problem there with English.

--- Denise
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    I agree that your image would be stunning on a metal print. I've printed 3 20 x 30 metal landscapes through Bay Photo and couldn't be happier. The process seems to bring out the detail and enhance the colour. Curious to hear if you agree when you get your print.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2012
    Thanks Rae..
    Rae,
    Thank you for the comment as well the recommendation. I will certainly let you know the result. I am thinking around the same size.

I checked out your site and saw where you had a "Retired" truck similar to the one pictured here. Mine was taken outside "Bo's," a restaurant on Key West.

Let's keep in touch.

Al McCormick

raebrown wrote: »
    I agree that your image would be stunning on a metal print. I've printed 3 20 x 30 metal landscapes through Bay Photo and couldn't be happier. The process seems to bring out the detail and enhance the colour. Curious to hear if you agree when you get your print.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2012
    It's an Order
    Okay, no looking back now. Will let you know once I receive it.wings.gif

New subject: Blurb

Not sure if any of you have organized a book of your photos, but I can not say enough about Blurb. I have done Apple and MPIX, but Blurb is like true published coffee table book. A bit pricey, but once I received it I found it to be worth every penny!

Again, thanks for everyone's guidance and suggestions!

Al McCormick
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    Rae,
    Thank you for the comment as well the recommendation. I will certainly let you know the result. I am thinking around the same size.

I checked out your site and saw where you had a "Retired" truck similar to the one pictured here. Mine was taken outside "Bo's," a restaurant on Key West.

Let's keep in touch.

Al McCormick

Our two retired trucks are certainly a long ways apart. Mine sits in the small Yukon community of Carcross.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    I've used Black River Imaging for several large (20x30) prints with excellent results. Great service and good prices. With the proper image selection, a print on metal will glow with a subtle fire. This image of mine practically leaps off the metal.

73111-31-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2012
    Beautiful Photograph!!!
    Beautiful. I have a couple photos from Sedona and the Moab area I may consider in the future.

Really impressive and I see what you mean about jumping off the metal.

I already placed my order with Bay Photo...Will let you know how it goes and I will check into Black River Imaging.

Al McCormick
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I've used Black River Imaging for several large (20x30) prints with excellent results. Great service and good prices. With the proper image selection, a print on metal will glow with a subtle fire. This image of mine practically leaps off the metal.

73111-31-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2012
    Metal is the Real Deal
    A special thanks to everyone who offered me the guidance. I just received my 20X30 Metal Shot from Bay Photo and all I can say is WOW. Pricy, but worth every penny.

I will definitely do it again.

wings.gif

Al McCormick
    alm@mostvaluableplayer.biz
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2012
    That's awesome! So glad you're happy with the metal print.

--- Denise